VLC +Playlist +TrueCrypt Drive not working

macOS specific usage questions
dmt
New Cone
New Cone

VLC +Playlist +TrueCrypt Drive not working

Postby dmt » 05 Nov 2008 03:07

I have a large external drive that is encrypted with truecrypt 6.0. The inner volume is where all of the files are really stored and it is hidden. The inner volume has been formatted HFS+.

When I add a folder of mp3's to the playlist or media library and try to expand it, a little yellow warning icon pops up and tells me the following:

Code: Select all

File reading failed VLC could not open the file "/dev/rdisk2".

Your input can't be opened VLC is unable to open the MRL '/dev/rdisk2'. Check the log for details.

main debug: creating access '' path='/dev/rdisk2' main debug: looking for access module: 8 candidates vcdx warning: open (/dev/rdisk2): Permission denied vcdx warning: could not open input stream... access_file debug: opening file `/dev/rdisk2' access_file error: cannot open file /dev/rdisk2 (Permission denied) cdda warning: could not open /dev/rdisk2 cddax warning: could not open /dev/rdisk2 main debug: TIMER module_Need() : 4.627 ms - Total 4.627 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 4.627 ms) main error: open of `/dev/rdisk2' failed: could not create access: no suitable access module macosx debug: addition to non-blocking error panel received main debug: finished input main debug: dying input main debug: thread ended macosx debug: addition to non-blocking error panel received macosx debug: input has changed, refreshing interface main debug: dead input main debug: thread 2958790656 joined (playlist/engine.c:244) main debug: starting new item main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1) main debug: nothing to play macosx debug: input has stopped, refreshing interface main debug: TIMER input launching for 'ACDC - Back In Black' : 169.304 ms - Total 169.304 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 169.304 ms)
If i add an individual mp3 file or video it plays fine. I tried versions 8.6, 9.3, 9.4, and 9.5. They all pretty much do the same thing. The disk is mounted as /dev/rdisk1 so I don't understnad why it is trying to access /dev/rdisk2 since it does not exist. Any help would be appreciated.

I tried it on a PC using Macdrive to mount the HFS+ partition and VLC 8.6 adds it fine to the playlist. The folder drops down and I can play files. I also tried reinstalling Truecrypt and reseting it to the default options.

dmt
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC +Playlist +TrueCrypt Drive not working

Postby dmt » 12 Nov 2008 11:00

Help?!

brechtsky
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby brechtsky » 26 Nov 2008 19:29

i dont know what the problem is, but it seems Ive had similar problems:

WIth any mkv with vorbis audio on a seperate drive, if I try to play that file, vlc quits after about five seconds of "thinking".

Ive just been re-encoding the vorbis to ac3, so it doesnt matter too much to me... but good luck to you!

the.snake
New Cone
New Cone

Postby the.snake » 24 Mar 2010 00:09

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as dmt. Mac OS X 10.6, TrueCrypt hidden file formatted as HFS+, and the following message when I try playing:

VLC could not open the file "/dev/rdisk2"

Anyone knows how to solve this?

Thanks,
Snake

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”