How to associate all files with VLC?

macOS specific usage questions
GJSchaller
New Cone
New Cone

How to associate all files with VLC?

Postby GJSchaller » 21 Oct 2008 23:30

I'd like to stop using Quicktime, and associate all files that will play in VLC with VLC by default, for simplicity's sake.

I know the Windows version has a menu interface that lets you do this, but I can't seem to find this on the Mac - is there a way easily / bulk associate file types with VLC through the interface, rather than manually handling each file type (and resetting them if Quicktime steals them back?).

Thank you!

munkymorgy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5

Re: How to associate all files with VLC?

Postby munkymorgy » 27 Oct 2008 13:06

For a specific file extension you can do this to set all files with that extension.
Select the file, with the extension you want VLC to open, in finder.
Then right click and get info, or apple-i
Towards the bottom of the get info window there is an open with box, select VLC and check 'always open with'.

This has set your prefference for that file, if you now hit the 'change all' button in the get info window it will apply this setting to all files with that file extension.

I do not know of a method or script that can be run to bulk associate all files with the player. Has any one found a way/written a script to do this?

Thanks
Morgy

GJSchaller
New Cone
New Cone

Postby GJSchaller » 27 Oct 2008 13:43

I know Stuffit Expander has the ability to associate various Archive files with itself within its preferences - that is the kind of capability I am looking for, as it seems to be present in the Windows version of VLC, but not the Mac one.

SpacePirate
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SpacePirate » 29 Oct 2008 00:28

Technically, this could be done by editing the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file, but VLC doesn't currently do this.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”