mp3 videos stop playing

macOS specific usage questions
kenoli
New Cone
New Cone

mp3 videos stop playing

Postby kenoli » 06 Aug 2008 15:01

Since switching to an intel mac, I have been having trouble playing mp3 files on vlc. At some point, about 1/4 through the file, the audio continues but the video freezes (continue to see final frame). Can anyone help me figure this out?

Deleting preference files does not solve this problem.

I'm using version 0.8.6i.

Videos play fine all the way through in Quicktime Player.

Thanks,

--Kenoli

mychaelus
New Cone
New Cone

Re: mp3 videos stop playing

Postby mychaelus » 23 Aug 2008 23:21

I had the same problem on a Macbook core 2 duo 2.4 GHz running Leopard 10.5.4

Now the problem has worsened. Playback is choppy on all .avi files, with skipped-frame stutters every 15 seconds or so. Reinstalling VLC did not change this behavior. VLC version h and i both do this, as does the most recent .90 nightly build. The same files played with Quicktime (7.5) show no stutters.

Activity Monitor reveals spikes of disk I/O at approximately the same intervals as the skipped frames, but no other applications are running. System cleaning hasn't helped.

I'm sad because I like VLC, but I have to resort to using Quicktime player.

kenoli
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kenoli » 24 Aug 2008 02:33

It is good to get some confirmation that this may be a VLC problem and not something isolated to my computer. Is anyone working on VLC monitoring this topic? Do you know if anyone is working on it or what may be causing it?

When I check the log, it is indicating that frames are arriving late.

Thanks,

--Kenoli

mychaelus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mychaelus » 24 Aug 2008 02:49

I should add that the stutters are not occurring at the same place when the .avi files are played a second time. I thought maybe the files are segmented and that could explain the stutters, but they occur at random times.

mychaelus
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mychaelus » 11 Sep 2008 05:17

It's still happening. The message window shows "PTS is out of range" multiple times whenever the video stutters.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”