VLC 0.8.6h no video and crash on .avi

macOS specific usage questions
Peterron
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 0.8.6h no video and crash on .avi

Postby Peterron » 10 Jun 2008 17:20

My VLC was working perfectly and over the past 48hrs. has stopped working. I try to open an .AVI file and all I hear is sound for aprox. 10 seconds and then it crashes. I tried both default and 'Open GL' in the prefrences-video-output modules and it's still not working. I just did a system software update and that must be the problem. I also deleted and reinstalled VLC.

Let me know what you think? Thank You

dragon-pk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 0.8.6h no video and crash on .avi

Postby dragon-pk » 11 Jun 2008 03:24

do you add --enable-ffmpegwhen configure vlc?

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 11 Jun 2008 12:28

My VLC was working perfectly and over the past 48hrs. has stopped working. I try to open an .AVI file and all I hear is sound for aprox. 10 seconds and then it crashes. I tried both default and 'Open GL' in the prefrences-video-output modules and it's still not working. I just did a system software update and that must be the problem. I also deleted and reinstalled VLC.

Let me know what you think? Thank You
Delete your preferences and cache files.

Does this occur for all files? Did you restart VLC after selecting OpenGL video output?
do you add --enable-ffmpegwhen configure vlc?
I don't think Peterron compiled from source.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

howard687
New Cone
New Cone

Postby howard687 » 13 Jul 2008 02:39

I am having the exact same problem. I have tried every remedy/suggestion I could find in these discussions including deleting preferences, changing the video to OpenGL, etc. to no avail. I downloaded 0.8.6c but see the same problems. I have repaired permissions.

VLC used to be my favorite player; it was so much better than Quicktime. But now Quicktime is playing all my .avi files and VLC doesn't play any of them.

Just as an aside, when I downloaded Quicktime 7.5, I started having numerous problems playing .avi files. After trying a number of remedies, I downgraded back to Quicktime 7.4.5 and it plays the files just fine. I say this only to wonder if downloading 7.5 could have done anything within MacOS that is affecting VLC. Of course if no one else out there having the 0.8.6h problems had downloaded Quicktime 7.5 then this is a moot point. Plus, it was my understanding that VLC is a completely self-contained application; no Quicktime or Quicktime component dependencies.

speby
New Cone
New Cone

Postby speby » 19 Jul 2008 01:47

I can confirm that by downgrading QuickTime from 7.5 to 7.4.5 made VLC work again (and not crash when starting to play any video file). Must be something related to changes introduced by Apple in 7.5 of QuickTime that is affecting VLC.

Ariel0817
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ariel0817 » 22 Jul 2008 18:22

Hey, Thanks A Million for the Advice. I downgraded my Quicktime to Quicktime 7.5 and now I can play the .AVI files in Quicktime vs. VLC. I downloaded it for my Macbook, I choose to download it for Macbook Leopard. even though I am unsure if I have Leopard. I might have Tiger but the Leopard. works. But thanks for the post. However, VLC still does not play some video formats but I am lead to believe there is a problem in the way the program is coded and the way my system reads it. But this is a common problem among mac users. Thanks Again!!

valkenburg2007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby valkenburg2007 » 23 Jul 2008 20:07

After consulting some contributors to this forum, I d/l Pacifist and follows the instructions I found on Google, to wit:

"Open Pacifist, and drag the icon of the QT installer to the Pacifist window. This will have the 'open carton' icon. Click on this, then click Install from the top left-hand corner of the Pacifist menu. You will be asked if you want existing files replaced. Say yes to all. Job done!"

Note that when you drag the QT updater onto Pacifist, you get a window that asks you to Open Package: select the QT updater you have already d/l from the Apple site, probablyon the desktop. That will open a "package contents" window: click on "Contents" (the first file and that will activate the Installer button, upper left. Follow through.

valkenburg2007
New Cone
New Cone

Postby valkenburg2007 » 23 Jul 2008 20:53

After all that, I have QT 7.4.5 running, but VLC-0.8.6i still crashes after about ten seconds. Any suggestions?

elhoyos
New Cone
New Cone

Postby elhoyos » 12 Sep 2008 04:32

I've just updated QT to 7.5.5, having VLC-0.8.6i and suffering as valkenburg2007. Are there any causes/solutions to this?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”