How to solve audio delay with Airport express

macOS specific usage questions
neue
New Cone
New Cone

How to solve audio delay with Airport express

Postby neue » 11 Jan 2008 20:59

Hi,
What is the maximum of Audio-Desyncronisation (forward) I can get?
I am trying to use VLC to watch my Divx-movies with the sound from my loudspeakers via AirPort express using the software airfoil. The thing is, that the sound via airport express (WLAN) has a delay of about 8 seconds and Airfoil says that it is a hardware issue of the Airport express base. So I was thinking that I could simply overcome this delay of audio, desyncronising the audio and the video within the VLC-Player. To syncronice the audio and the video (audio via air speakes, video on my MBP) I should be able to accelerate the audio like 8 seconds before the video starts. Is that possible? And how?
I am thankful for al kind of help! Would be great watching movies with VLC listenng to my Hifi Speakers over WLAN.

:-)
Stephan

arri
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How to solve audio delay with Airport express

Postby arri » 15 Jan 2008 23:49

hi neue,

you do this by adjusting the 'audio delay' to the appropriate value, using the designated 'hotketys'. this delay should usually be something around -3000 ms. (notice the '-' negative indicator..)

the default hotkeys are (i believe) the 'g' and the 'h' keys, but since i can never remember those, i changed them to something else in the preferences (prefs > interface > hotkeys).

in general this works great, except for certain streams that use the asf format (windows media).

gr
.a

(btw, looking at those hotkey-settings you can learn about more options that might not be so clear from the regular interface or the docs)

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”