Play on the 2nd monitor doesn't work as it did

macOS specific usage questions
jongampark
New Cone
New Cone

Play on the 2nd monitor doesn't work as it did

Postby jongampark » 23 Dec 2007 01:21

I use the VLC 0.8.6d PowerPC build.
From VLC 0.8.6d, play fullscreen on secondary monitor doesn't work as it did before.

Before
======
No matter where the controller and a window for a movie are located, the movie can be played on a 2ndary monitor if you select Video->Video Device->[the 3rd item]. ( 1st item is "default", and the 3rd item is your second monitor. )

After
=====
You should move the controller or the window to the second monitor to make it playable in its full screen mode.

I searched this forum for this issue, and people seem to try moving the controller to the 2nd monitor to play it in full screen mode. Yeah.. but before, a video file could be played in full screen mode by checking the menu item described above. This is a bug.

Thank you.

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Re: Play on the 2nd monitor doesn't work as it did

Postby funman » 23 Dec 2007 02:21

please try an unstable version ( from http://nightlies.videolan.org ) to see if it has this bug too

asdufisn

Postby asdufisn » 24 Dec 2007 06:17

Another bug I encountered: The option "Black screens in fullscreen" doesn't seem to work anymore.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 26 Dec 2007 21:48

Could you guys please test this build?

http://jones.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/fpk/v ... -INTEL.dmg

Note that it is for intel-based Macs only and still a pre-release version.

This build should fix the "fullscreen shows on wrong screen" problem and may also fix the "black screen" option.

Please provide feedback, as I don't have access to 2 screens right now :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

asdufisn

Postby asdufisn » 28 Dec 2007 19:58

Okay, I just dl'ed this build, deleted my preferences and tested it.

I have two screens, screen 1 is my primary iMac, screen 2 my external tv. When set to "default", the fullscreen shows on screen 1 (as supposed to). Now here's the strange thing: When set to "Screen 1", it shows on screen 2, when set to "Screen 2", fullscreen doesn't work at all. The "black screen" doesn't work in any case. This is all rather annoying, as these bugs never occured in previous versions of VLC.

If you have another test build to test, just post it here and I'll get on it.

techietrash
New Cone
New Cone

Postby techietrash » 07 Jan 2008 07:15

I've found this bug occurs for me as well, using the latest stable release as of 1/7/07 (0.8.6d)

Please try and resolve this! I miss being able to fullscreen to other screens without having to drag it over first.

Thanks, and keep up your great work!

-------
Macbook Pro 17" Rev A, 2.16 GHz CoreDuo, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.1 Leopard

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 08 Jan 2008 15:56

Folks, we've been working on the bugfix release and compiled another test build for you.

You can download it here.

The password is "fullscreen". Note that this is a debug build, which includes additional code and is slower than the actual release. Please don't post the link to other forums or news sites.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

techietrash
New Cone
New Cone

Postby techietrash » 16 Jan 2008 21:41

link doesn't work? :-(

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 16 Jan 2008 21:55

I provided a new build in the meantime and didn't bring a symlink into place. You can find it here (same password).
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

Yoc
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Yoc » 20 Jan 2008 22:33

I don't have the problem with the second monitor (if I select it in the menus, it displays well in fullscreen mode on that dsplay) but the other screen doesn't go black. I tried with various build, starting with 0.9.0 svn and finishing with the one just above, but only the 0.8.6c works.
My configuration :
MacBook Pro 2,4 Santa Rosa, 10.5.1, with a video projector connected to the dvi interface.

techietrash
New Cone
New Cone

Postby techietrash » 21 Jan 2008 01:36

In my experience with VLC over the past 2 years, my main screen would never go black when I played something fullscreen on my external monitor. I love this feature, that's one of the things that drives me crazy about playing stuff fullscreen in other programs, the ability to do something else on the main screen kills me. IMHO, that's the correct functionality.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 21 Jan 2008 11:25

Well, we used to provide blacking of the other screens as an option, actually. It's really useful for some applications, but is surely bothering for other purposes. That's why there's the option. Anyway, I requested funds (no need to donate here, the money is there) for an external screen adapter for my MacBook, so I'll restore this feature for VLC 0.8.6e. Thanks for testing! :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

bugmenot
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bugmenot » 29 Feb 2008 04:40

I can't believe this is still not working in the new 0.8.6e release. Bring back the blacking!

techietrash
New Cone
New Cone

Postby techietrash » 03 Mar 2008 17:10

Any updates on how this is progressing?

:D

jongampark
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jongampark » 04 Mar 2008 06:16

Well.. on my machine, it started working again after the VLC 0.8.6e was installed.

gonhidi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gonhidi » 04 Mar 2008 08:32

Well.. on my machine, it started working again after the VLC 0.8.6e was installed.
On my machine (Intel Macbook with Mac OS X 10.4.11) the opposite has happened (unless a reboot is necessary): fullscreen does not work on the secondary monitor with VLC 0.8.6e whereas I had no problems when using 0.8.6d.

Mandibela
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mandibela » 21 Mar 2008 08:18

gonhidi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gonhidi » 23 Mar 2008 11:06

On my machine (Intel Macbook with Mac OS X 10.4.11) the opposite has happened (unless a reboot is necessary): fullscreen does not work on the secondary monitor with VLC 0.8.6e whereas I had no problems when using 0.8.6d.
I thought I had deleted the preferences after having erased a file named ~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist or similar. I later realized that there existed a ~/Library/Preferences/VLC directory, and after deleting that one, I could finally use Video -> Video Device to choose which display to use. However, I cannot manage to make the video device choice persist across sessions. Regardless of the Video device value in the Interface -> Main interface -> macosx preference pane, VLC always starts videos on the main monitor.

I would prefer to be able by default to drag the video to the display where I want to watch it maximized, though in some other setting it is sensible to always maximize on a particular monitor. Does making this choice persist across sessions work for anybody under Tiger (10.4.x) using 0.8.6e? Maybe there is some other configuration file I should edit or delete, or maybe I am missing some other setting?

Mandibela
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mandibela » 23 Mar 2008 20:07

I thought I had deleted the preferences after having erased a file named ~/Library/Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist or similar. I later realized that there existed a ~/Library/Preferences/VLC directory, and after deleting that one, I could finally use Video -> Video Device to choose which display to use. However, I cannot manage to make the video device choice persist across sessions. Regardless of the Video device value in the Interface -> Main interface -> macosx preference pane, VLC always starts videos on the main monitor.

I would prefer to be able by default to drag the video to the display where I want to watch it maximized, though in some other setting it is sensible to always maximize on a particular monitor. Does making this choice persist across sessions work for anybody under Tiger (10.4.x) using 0.8.6e? Maybe there is some other configuration file I should edit or delete, or maybe I am missing some other setting?
This is exactly what I want too! ...and I have the same problems. I tried once more to delete all preferences but no help. Oh well, back to 0.8.6d...

loftywiseman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby loftywiseman » 11 Sep 2008 01:36

I hate to say it. But I've had no choice but to move to the Nice Player. None of the links to the re-releases worked in this thread and I'm bored of trying to sort it out. Nice player works for me.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”