vlc-trunk fails to build

macOS specific usage questions
tomleonard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

vlc-trunk fails to build

Postby tomleonard » 14 Dec 2007 09:36

I'm running OS/x10.4.11 with Xcode 2.5.

For some development we are doing, I really want to track the progress of 0.9.0, so I downloaded sources from the svn trunk, made the contribs, bootstrapped and configured ($ ./configure --with-macosx-sdk) successfully. The make fails with:

Code: Select all

Making all in macosx if /bin/sh ../../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -I/Users/qm/vlc/vlc-trunk/./extras/contrib/include -DSYS_DARWIN -I../../../include -I../../../include `top_builddir="../../.." ../../../vlc-config --objcflags plugin macosx` -I/Users/qm/vlc/vlc-trunk/./extras/contrib/include -D_INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS -std=gnu99 -MT libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.Tpo" -c -o libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.lo `test -f 'playlist.m' || echo './'`playlist.m; \ then mv -f ".deps/libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.Tpo" ".deps/libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.Tpo"; exit 1; fi gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../.. -I/Users/qm/vlc/vlc-trunk/./extras/contrib/include -DSYS_DARWIN -I../../../include -I../../../include -I/usr/local/include -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__USE_UNIX98 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale\" -DDATA_PATH=\"/usr/local/share/vlc\" -DPLUGIN_PATH=\"/usr/local/lib/vlc\" -D__LIBVLC__ -D__PLUGIN__ -DMODULE_NAME=macosx -DMODULE_NAME_IS_macosx -O2 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -mtune=G4 -fomit-frame-pointer -fobjc-exceptions -I/Users/qm/vlc/vlc-trunk/./extras/contrib/include -D_INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS -std=gnu99 -MT libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.Tpo -c playlist.m -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.o playlist.m: In function '-[VLCPlaylist awakeFromNib]': playlist.m:403: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:407: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:410: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:410: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:416: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:416: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:417: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:417: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:428: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:428: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:429: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type playlist.m:429: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type make[6]: *** [libmacosx_plugin_la-playlist.lo] Error 1 make[5]: *** [all-modules] Error 1
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to repair the problem.

funman
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: All of them

Re: vlc-trunk fails to build

Postby funman » 14 Dec 2007 13:50

you can check automatic compilation made after each commit on http://buildbot.videolan.org

when the macosx buildbot is green (success) it will be repaired

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 15 Dec 2007 11:42

Happened yesterday evening. Builds correctly now :)

However, you should remove the "--with-macosx-sdk" flag for now, as it will trigger linking problems on Mac OS X 10.4.8 and above. Compiling VLC without this flag on 10.4.x will provide a binary which is able to run both on 10.4 and 10.5, but will refuse to work on earlier releases.

If you encounter further questions about VLC's Mac OS X port, feel free to email vlc-devel at videolan.org, so we can help you faster and more precise, as most developers don't read this forum, but only the mailing-list. You do not necessarily need to subscribe to it to ask questions btw.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

tomleonard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby tomleonard » 16 Dec 2007 18:23

Thanks. Builds fine now if I checkout sources and run:

Code: Select all

export MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 cd extras/contrib ./bootstrap make cd ../.. ./bootstrap ./configure make
During the contribs build, make got stuck on the gnupg/gcrypt libraries so I had to cancel, manually download the needed source files to extras/contrib/src and resume the make. All in all, a relatively smooth process. Having previously struggled with the config flags for the PC build, it's nice to be able to simply run configure and get a sane build.

Tom

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”