floating windows

macOS specific usage questions
mayflower
New Cone
New Cone

floating windows

Postby mayflower » 22 Sep 2007 11:12

Hello, :D

I don't find how to delete the floating window which appears with VLC every time I launch it.
Anybody knows ?
(VLC 0.8.6C - OS 10.3.9)

Thank you very much for your help

madmax_2069
Cone that earned his stripes

Re: floating windows

Postby madmax_2069 » 22 Sep 2007 13:16

well, normally you would move the mouse pointer away from the floating control box (like take it above the control box about a inch or so) and it comes back up when you move the mouse down to where the control box is ( or just move the mouse ), but i have had issues where it would not go away even if i would do that. It don't do it all the time for me tho just sometimes. this could be a bug, but i would not really know if it is or not cause it does happen to me but not all of the time.

mayflower
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mayflower » 22 Sep 2007 13:27

well, normally you would move the mouse pointer away from the floating control box (like take it above the control box about a inch or so) and it comes back up when you move the mouse down to where the control box is ( or just move the mouse ), but i have had issues where it would not go away even if i would do that. It don't do it all the time for me tho just sometimes. this could be a bug, but i would not really know if it is or not cause it does happen to me but not all of the time.
thanks for your answer... and you don't how to remove it ? I have found nothing in the preferences :(

madmax_2069

Postby madmax_2069 » 22 Sep 2007 13:38

how else would you control the video when in full screen ( i know there is shortcut key's ). this feature is there for ease of use for people that dont want to know shortcut key's. but i think this is a feature that is not able to be disabled. the best way is to move the mouse away and allow it to disappear and learn the shortcut key's. i know space will pause/play the video. there are allot of others like for sound volume, subtitles, video aspect, fast forward and rewind ( i think ). but you can look at the shortcut key's in the drop down boxes in the menu bar on the top of your screen if you need to or want to learn them all

Edit ::: oops i am wrong, there is a way to disable it, check advanced in the preferences expand interface/Main interfaces/macosx and the 2nd check-mark box from the top ( show full screen controller ) needs to be unchecked. and press save. i think having the advanced checked at the bottom left of the window is needed to see allot of funtions to enable or disable. i think this is what you wanted

sorry i thought it wasn't able to be disabled

mayflower
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mayflower » 22 Sep 2007 13:50

canceled
Last edited by mayflower on 22 Sep 2007 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

mayflower
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mayflower » 22 Sep 2007 14:01

Edit ::: oops i am wrong, there is a way to disable it, check advanced in the preferences expand interface/Main interfaces/macosx and the 2nd check-mark box from the top ( show full screen controller ) needs to be unchecked. and press save. i think having the advanced checked at the bottom left of the window is needed to see allot of funtions to enable or disable. i think this is what you wanted

sorry i thought it wasn't able to be disabled

Great !!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

the window is out

Thank you very very very much

hingis
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby hingis » 23 Sep 2007 13:05

I also had this problem and solved it.Thanks for your help..

Paragonidae
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Paragonidae » 12 Nov 2007 16:37

any body knows how to control the functions of this window, for example how fast will be the fast forward? and another Q about the remote control of macbook... short click jumps between clips but long one is really out of control so it is really hard to navigate within a clip in matter of seconds... any help would be appreciated.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 12 Nov 2007 17:18

@ Paragonidae: The fullscreen controller doesn't offer any fast-forward keys. What you're looking at, are jump keys (by default either 10 sec forward/backward or to the next/previous item). You can configure the length of the jump in /Interface/hotkeys settings inside VLC's preferences.

The Apple Remote implementation is a bit more complex. If you keep your button pressed, it jump-forward/backward 10 sec (by default, see above) on each event. When does such an event happen? Well, every quarter of a sec, so that's pretty fast. or pretty slow. well, depends on the length of the movie. You can fit the jump's length to your needs.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Paragonidae
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Paragonidae » 12 Nov 2007 17:31

a an extensive user I would recommend to adjust the functionality of the remote to be the same as in the front row app. short press shouldn't jump to the next/prev clip but jump shortly, the frequency of the press influence the speed of the seek. and a long press seek relatively slowly so you can go back to the beginning of a missed sentence or something.
other than that it would be nice to if the floating controller would remember it's last position.

livelife
New Cone
New Cone

Postby livelife » 29 Jan 2008 20:35

To reiterate what many have said: the full screen controller is awesome!

My question is: Can I modify the default location and size? (Is there a plist file that references it?)

I would like to have a wider controller to allow for more fine tuning of the position slider and I’d love to have it along the bottom of my screen, close to the right side (about 80 pixels away).

Thanks for an incredible app. It is by far the best player on the Mac!

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 29 Jan 2008 21:13

ehm, no, there is no way to do this (neither resizing nor permanently moving). I'll implement the latter though. The first isn't possible due to the bitmap-nature of the panel.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”