Dual Display Problems - iMac with Mini-DVI to Video Adapter

macOS specific usage questions
grayner
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Dual Display Problems - iMac with Mini-DVI to Video Adapter

Postby grayner » 02 Jun 2007 10:04

Major trouble doing full-screen video output as default on my secondary NTSC display with dual monitor setup!

I brought the Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adaptor (Part # M9319G/A) for my 20" intel iMac with the intention of setting up a dual monitor display so that I could watch VLC movies in full-screen on my large NTSC TV, while leaving my desktop LCD for control and other uses. This seems like a common thing people would want to do, but I cannot make it work.

The problem that I have is that I am unable to make the secondary display output the one that full-screen video goes to. If I select full-screen output, it always goes to my iMac LCD screen. The only way I can (sort of) make it work is to drag the window to the secondary display and select the "Fit to screen" option, but that leaves the control window visible. This has to be done manually with each movie.

I have extensively searched and cannot find a solution. One suggestion was to "Video" menu and select "Video Device" for the secondary display, but that option is grayed out on my VLC version (0.8.6b), so I cannot activate it.

I also tried many options in the Preferences/Video/Output modules (with advanced settings selected) but cannot see any option that allows me to select the second NTSC display for full-screen output.

My system configuration is as follows: intel iMac 20" with ATI Radeon X1600 chipset, 256MB RAM. I have configured the displays as follows:

iMac LCD display - 1680 x 1050 millions
NTSC/PAL display - 1024 x 768 (NTSC) millions

The secondary NTSC display is set to the right of the primary display.

MAC OS System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.9 (8P2137)

Please help ;-)

gusax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby gusax » 03 Jun 2007 13:37

grayner
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby grayner » 04 Jun 2007 21:01

Superb!!! Works like a charm.

Also, for other users - just to clarify, preferences was the VLC preferences, not the MAC system preferences.

Thank you.

Gary.

jinqui242
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Dual Display Problems - iMac with Mini-DVI to Video Adapter

Postby jinqui242 » 07 Aug 2007 20:04

Old topic, I know, but I didn't have to change the VLC prefs at all. In the OS X Display preference in the Arrangement section, I dragged the white menu on the top to the second display. It runs VLC in full screen on my LCD TV. Now whenever I hook up my Macbook to the TV, the desktop with the Apple menu always switches to the TV.

You may prefer the VLC pref for your own uses if that's what suits you.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”