VLC 0.8.6b, OS 10.3.9 and Unsanity's Application Enhancer

macOS specific usage questions
friscofrog
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 0.8.6b, OS 10.3.9 and Unsanity's Application Enhancer

Postby friscofrog » 19 Apr 2007 02:41

In a previous post I reported the crash on startup of VLC 0.8.6a on my iBook with OS 10.3.9. Around the same time QT, and iTunes as well as various Unsanity haxies released updates. It was hard to pin down the cause of the VLC crash and only versions of VLC 0.8.4a or earlier would work with my configuration. Today VLC 0.8.6b was released. I downloaded and installed it on my OS 10.3.9 machine and it, too, crashed on opening. Running the delete preferences script made no difference. On a hunch, I disabled Application Enhancer, logged out and in again and relaunched VLC 0.8.6b. This time it opened, stayed open and I was able to view some movies. I then added VLC to the Application Enhancer Master Exclude list. Logged out and in again. VLC 0.8.6b launched again and appeared stable. I still had VLC 0.8.6a around and I tried launching it and to my surprise it did not crash either. So for those who have had similar problems and are running any Unsanity apps the addition of VLC to the Master Exclude list may work for them too.
"For every complex,
difficult problem, there
is a simple, easy solution
… and it is wrong."
– H. L. Mencken

Royboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Royboy » 19 Apr 2007 13:18

Sounds like you're on to something there bud! I'll have to give that a try later on, as it sounds like we're running similar setups.

However... is the latest VLC player that much better than the older 0.8.4a I had to revert back to? Better player? More stable (once the crashing problem is "fixed")?

In a case like this, do you let the VLC people AND the Unsanity people know about this possible conflict or what?

Thanks again, I'll try to post back my results as well.

friscofrog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby friscofrog » 19 Apr 2007 16:43

Sounds like you're on to something there bud! I'll have to give that a try later on, as it sounds like we're running similar setups.

However... is the latest VLC player that much better than the older 0.8.4a I had to revert back to? Better player? More stable (once the crashing problem is "fixed")?

In a case like this, do you let the VLC people AND the Unsanity people know about this possible conflict or what?

Thanks again, I'll try to post back my results as well.
Is the new one better? Don't know, haven't had it long enough to tell, but at least now I have a choice ;)

And, no, I have not directly contacted Videolan or Unsanity directly. I just posted this here. I have another trouble ticket into Unsanity about a conflict with Application Enhancer and Adobe Reader 8.0 but I have received no reply from them yet.
"For every complex,
difficult problem, there
… and it is wrong."
– H. L. Mencken

vlovej
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby vlovej » 19 Apr 2007 16:45

Do some people, who have 0S 10.3.9 + Quicktime 7.1.5 and no "Application Enhancer", try to install "Application Enhancer" after for making VLC 0.8.6(a/b) working well?

(really sorry for my poor english writting....hope you will understand what I mean...)

friscofrog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby friscofrog » 19 Apr 2007 19:02

Do some people, who have 0S 10.3.9 + Quicktime 7.1.5 and no "Application Enhancer", try to install "Application Enhancer" after for making VLC 0.8.6(a/b) working well?

(really sorry for my poor english writting....hope you will understand what I mean...)
My report is that of a conflict with VLC 0.8.6 and Application Enhancer. Do not install Application Enhancer to fix this. If you are still having problems with VLC 0.8.6 and OS 10.3.9 you will have to look elsewhere for a solution.
"For every complex,
difficult problem, there
… and it is wrong."
– H. L. Mencken

Royboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Royboy » 20 Apr 2007 04:04

OK, finally had a chance to mess around a bit and had the exact same results as Friscofrog did in his original post above. That is, I added VLC to the Application Enhancer Master Exclude list, and now VLC 0.8.6b is actually working and not closing immediately after opening it.

The Application Enhancer is by Unsanity and is used by some of their haxies. I use their FruitMenu and WindowShade X.

Hopefully this will be of some useful info to some of you folks out there, as well as possibly useful to the VLC and Unsanity techs to help resolve this elusive problem once and for all.

Thanks again Friscofrog!

P.S. I'll pass this thread link on to Unsanity.

Royboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Royboy » 20 Apr 2007 16:59

I contacted Unsanity concerning this possible conflict, and they told me to send a crash log. Well, nothing shows up in any of the CRASH logs when VLC opens then closes immediately, however, in the consol.log, the following does show up:

Error locating symbol - dlcompat: Symbol "_JVTDecoOpen" not found

And when I include VLC in the Application Enhancer's exclude list, that error does NOT show up, so something is definitely going on with one or the other.

Royboy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Royboy » 02 May 2007 19:14

Update:

Just upgraded to QuickTime 7.1.6 and now VLC 0.8.6b opens and plays WITHOUT having to have VLC in the Master Exclude list of Unsanity's Application Enhancer 2.0.3.

Still having the VERY annoying problem – as MANY others seem to be as well – of VLC crashing upon closing/quitting – sometimes it takes several seconds before the crash dialog box comes up, so I don't know if it's REALLY crashing or what?!

I'm running an otherwise good, solid, Mac OS 10.3.9.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”