Transcode with VLM?

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
cab938
New Cone
New Cone

Transcode with VLM?

Postby cab938 » 31 Dec 2006 21:36

So, I'm new to the VLM and trying to work through a simple example. I want to transcode audio (from a local mic) and a screen stream (from the laptop) into two different files. Eventually, I want to try and setup some mosaic magic to try and get these into one file. The key is that I don't want to stream the output, I want to save it to a file, and I'm having troubles finding examples to follow.

I tried this as my vlm file:

# Input options
new main broadcast enabled
setup main input "screen://"
setup main output #transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1024,scale=1,acodec=mp4a,ab=128,channels=2}:standard{access=file,url=c:\test.mp4}

new odd broadcast enabled
setup odd input "dshow:// :dshow-vdev="" :dshow-adev="Headset Microphone (Plantronics" :dshow-size="""
setup odd output #transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=1}:standard{access=file,url=c:\test.mp3}

# Launch everything
control main play
control odd play

And tried launching it with this:

vlc -I dummy --verbose=2 --vlm-conf temp.vlm --one-instance

And I get essentially nothing - vlc launches, gives a couple of normal sounding debug statements, and doesn't do either stream. Anyone able to give me a poke in the right direction?

Tia for any leads,

Chris

cab938
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cab938 » 01 Jan 2007 03:15

Do I played with a few things and got a hint on irc and have narrowed it down a bit. First, I need to start VLC using the telnet interface, the dummy interface won't work with VLMs. Ok, now the video encodes, but the audio won't. Is my direct show line setup wrong?

Chris

cab938
New Cone
New Cone

Sinking ship?

Postby cab938 » 01 Jan 2007 04:06

Wow, I feel like I tried everything. Found a post that suggested that I change the audio device name so it had no space in it, so I regedited away to know benefit for awhile. This post suggests to do something like the following:

new test broadcast
setup test input dshow://
setup test option "dshow-adev=Headset_Microphone_That_Is_Real"
setup test output #transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=1}:standard{access=file,url=c:\test.mp3}
setup test enabled

Which I invoke using:

vlc -I http --verbose=2 --vlm-conf temp.vlm --one-instance

But still no dice. I'm desperate for a hint here...

Chris

cab938
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cab938 » 15 Feb 2007 19:35

Better late than never? For some reason, the vlm wants you to transcode to a container, not just to a specific codec. So, try and change the .mp3 in the filename to .mpg.

This works for me, but sucks.

Chris

Return to “VLM”