Seamless VLM?

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
xj
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Seamless VLM?

Postby xj » 21 Aug 2005 19:06

Hello,
I am trying to play video at current time, lets say 10:00, video duration 30 minutes, then video 2 at 10:30.

But it is not seamless...

Is that normal or how can I do it with vlc? At what should I look at in preferences?

Thank you for help or suggestion

Jan

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 26 Aug 2005 10:04

There is no "clean" way of doing it.

The only solution that i can think of is doing something similar to the Mosaic system.

What this would basically be (with a developement version of VLC):

create a vlm.conf (or whatever) file :

Code: Select all

#This is a background image that will be displayed durring transitions new background broadcast enabled setup background input fake: setup background ouput #bridge-in:transcode{sfilter=mosaic,vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096}:standard{mux=ts,access=udp,url=239.255.12.12} #this is one of the streams new vid1 broadcast enabled input file1.mpeg setup vid1 output #duplicate{dst=mosaic-bridge{id=1},select=video,dst=bridge-out{id=1},select=audio} #this is another stream new vid2 broadcast enabled input file2.mpeg setup vid2 output #duplicate{dst=mosaic-bridge{id=1},select=video,dst=bridge-out{id=1},select=audio} control background play control vid1 play #and then you need to add schedule stuff which basically stops vid1 and then starts vid2 (note that vid1 needs to be stoped before you launch vid2)
and launch VLC with this command

Code: Select all

vlc -vvv --color --vlm-conf vlm.conf -I telnet --fake-file background.png --mosaic-height <the pic's and video's height> --mosaic-widht <width> --mosaic-rows 1 --mosaic-cols 1 --mosaic-keep-picture
the main drawback of this method is that you need to transcode the video, which results in CPU usage and some degrading of video quality. But its the only way to have a continuous video stream in VLC (at least i can't think of any other method).

note that all the videos and the background image need to have the same width and height. You could resize the videos on the fly, but that would result in more CPU usage and i doubt that you even need to do so.

(why do you need a developement version ? because --fake-file wasn't available in 0.8.2 and it really is an improvement compared to the previous method using the switcher module)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

xj
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby xj » 02 Sep 2005 13:02

Cooool idea :D

Thank you

------------
Jan

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 03 Sep 2005 22:15

let me know if it works :)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

dynamitemedia
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Seamless VLM?

Postby dynamitemedia » 23 Jul 2007 08:19

will this work in the latest version?

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Seamless VLM?

Postby dionoea » 23 Jul 2007 14:24

It should ... I haven't tested the commands though so there might be errors/typos in them.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

Return to “VLM”