Stream all elementary streams with VLM?

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
cmosse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Stream all elementary streams with VLM?

Postby cmosse » 26 Jul 2005 18:28

HI,

How do I specify the "sout-all" parameter using the VLM?
I want ALL the elementary streams from a file, not just the first ( as the default.. ).

Regards,
Kaius

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 26 Jul 2005 22:11

setup <vlmelementname> option sout-all
Don't use PMs for support questions.

cmosse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cmosse » 27 Jul 2005 13:54

setup <vlmelementname> option sout-all
Thanks!

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 27 Jul 2005 14:29

Is the CERN going to use VLC ? That would be neat :)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

cmosse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cmosse » 27 Jul 2005 14:43

Is the CERN going to use VLC ? That would be neat :)
Well, not exactly.. Trying to rig up realtime streaming of DVB from Finland, mostly for entertainment purposes. 8)

In the side I'm doing a feasibility study of several Grid technologies for this purpose, but they don't seem to be that suitable for _realtime_ streaming, at least yet..

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 27 Jul 2005 20:19

Why would anyone want to use grid computing to do live streaming ? isn't one server enough ?
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

cmosse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cmosse » 28 Jul 2005 15:34

Why would anyone want to use grid computing to do live streaming ? isn't one server enough ?
First question:
That's what I'm trying to find out :wink:
Grid computing ain't just about computational power anyway.. Storage, Virtual Organizations, watermarking, encryption etc. They all fit under the vague term called Grid..

Second question:
In the scenario with around ten DVB channels, that you want to stream realtime to another country/continent as efficiently as possible, the answer is definitely no. Encoding MPEG2 to MPEG4 takes quite a lot of power..

At the moment I would say that using a cluster you could roughly encode two channels per computer in the cluster, using reasonably ok computers. After all you cannot run the servers on 100%, as the bitrate is fluctuating quite a lot..

And in the case of sparse bandwidth, encoding into h264 would be interesting. But encoding quality DVB, and in a couple years HDTV, becomes practically impossible using clusters. Especially doing that realtime :)

Regards,
Kaius Perttilä

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 28 Jul 2005 16:05

seems intersting (although i don't really get the difference between what you call grid computing having 2 videos transcoded per computer and just having 2 videos transcoded per computer without calling it grid)

btw, let us know when you manage to do software HDTV (or normal TV) h264 encoding :)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

cmosse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cmosse » 08 Aug 2005 15:24

seems intersting (although i don't really get the difference between what you call grid computing having 2 videos transcoded per computer and just having 2 videos transcoded per computer without calling it grid)
Well, in the case you would like to call the system a Grid, you would practically just have one virtual computer. You wouldn't care ( or perhaps even know ) which computers do the calculations. Same think about their location, ownership and number.. It could be a few ancient 486's or a Cray doing your h264 encoding.
When I mentioned two DVB streams per computer, I just refered to the real-life situation..
btw, let us know when you manage to do software HDTV (or normal TV) h264 encoding :)
Realtime? Sure, is should get it running soon on my laptop.. :wink:

shivaprasad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Stream all elementary streams with VLM?

Postby shivaprasad » 30 Nov 2007 13:23

Hi Friends,
I am trying to stream MPEG-4 ES data over the network.I tried with mostly all types of video streaming players ,includeing VLC,unrealstreaming player etc.But not able stream that data.Some players gave error message as unknown data format.Can please suggest any ideas to stream MPEG-4 ES data over the LAN.

Regards
shivaprasad

Return to “VLM”