Can VOD stream be set up to any media player other than VLC?

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
bxb13
New Cone
New Cone

Can VOD stream be set up to any media player other than VLC?

Postby bxb13 » 14 Aug 2006 23:41

Hi, I've gone through all the posts, and I can't find a definitive answer.

I was able to set up an RSTP VOD stream in VLM to another VLC client (both through LAN and over the Internet). But no other media player is able to open that RTSP stream.

I was also able to set up both HTTP and MMS broadcast streams that any media player can open, but I am unable to set them up as VOD instead of broadcast.

So, RTSP is the only protocol thal seems to allow VOD, but it also seems to only be compatible with VLC as a client. And HTTP and MMS are compatible with any player, but don't seem to work as VOD.

Is there a solution that will allow VOD streaming (http VOD, mms VOD, or rtsp with better compatibility)?

robc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can VOD stream be set up to any media player other than

Postby robc » 15 Aug 2006 04:45

I was able to set up an RSTP VOD stream in VLM to another VLC client (both through LAN and over the Internet). But no other media player is able to open that RTSP stream.
There are many players (and media devices) which can interact with VLC for video-on-demand through RTSP - In particular, have a look at mplayer and ffmpeg.
I was also able to set up both HTTP and MMS broadcast streams that any media player can open, but I am unable to set them up as VOD instead of broadcast.
MMS should be able to be used for VOD - I have however only performed this in the past using Windows Media Services on the Server 2003 platform.

bxb13
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bxb13 » 15 Aug 2006 06:17

Thanks for the prompt reply, but...

VOD with both HTTP and MMS doesn't work for me. Here is my VLM startup file (I tried entering the commands individually in the Telnet interface, just in case, too):

Code: Select all

new test vod enabled setup test input "testfile.avi" setup test output #std{access=mmsh,mux=asfh,dst=:3128/test}
and here is my VLC commandline:

vlc --ttl 12 -vvv --intf telnet --telnet-port 2813 --telnet-password vlc --vlm-conf startup.vlm
Using the Telnet interface and the SHOW command, it says that there is one enabled VOD stream. However, neihter VLC nor other media players can open it using any of these URLs:

mms://server_ip:3128/test mms://server_ip:3128 mmsh://server_ip:3128/test mmsh://server_ip:3128
So is there anythymg I am doing wrong here?

Http streaming kind of works by changing the outout to "access=http", but before the stream can be played on a client maching, I have to go into Telnet and give it the "control test play" command. But that, in effect, makes it a broadcast stream, doesn't it?

And as far as RTSP goes -- I appreciate the fact that mplayer and ffmpeg might both be able to open VLC streams, but I should have been more clear in my initial post. There is a reason that VLC doesn't work for me as a client -- my real goal is to get these playing on my Windows Mobile 5 Smartphone. I've tried mobile WMP, TCPMP, and Pocket Player, and neither works. It's obvious that VLC uses a different implementation of the RTSP protocol that most mainstream media players. So, I figured that if there was a way to get RTSP playing on one of the mainstrean media players, I could then get it to work on my PDA.
Last edited by bxb13 on 15 Aug 2006 06:47, edited 1 time in total.

robc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby robc » 15 Aug 2006 06:22

Unfortunately, while I cannot comment on the implementation of VOD for HTTP/MMS streaming within VLC (as I have not used it at all), I am quite certain that the MMS protocol can provide full VOD support (with fast-forward and rewind) on other platforms (Windows Media Services). With respect to RTSP and Windows Mobile players however, it may be worthwhile examining TCP paket captures for the interaction between the mobile devices and your server to determine the cause of errors which you are experiencing.

bxb13
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bxb13 » 21 Aug 2006 08:54

Sorry, I was away for a few days...

Ok, let's drop the whole interoperability issue for now. I would settle for MMS VOD streaming. Unless you can show me how to stream MMS on demand, you are incorrect in saying that MMS VOD streams can be started, stopped, or otherwise controlled. If you check my VLM setup, the MMS stream is set up as VOD. However, the "control test play" command has to be issued on the server for the stream to play on the client. And once it's playing, the client has no control over the stream. There is also no way to stop the server from playing the file unless the "control test stop" command is issued. The control commands have to be issued via Telnet, so, in my opinion, these definitely don't behave as VOD streams, but rather as broadcast streams.

Tha whole point of VOD is for the client to have control over the stream, and also to take the processing load off the server by only playing the streams that the client requests. I would love to be wrong about this! If you guys have any idea how to make MMS streams into true VOD streams, please let me know.

robc
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby robc » 22 Aug 2006 00:18

Ok, let's drop the whole interoperability issue for now. I would settle for MMS VOD streaming. Unless you can show me how to stream MMS on demand, you are incorrect in saying that MMS VOD streams can be started, stopped, or otherwise controlled. If you check my VLM setup, the MMS stream is set up as VOD. However, the "control test play" command has to be issued on the server for the stream to play on the client. And once it's playing, the client has no control over the stream. There is also no way to stop the server from playing the file unless the "control test stop" command is issued. The control commands have to be issued via Telnet, so, in my opinion, these definitely don't behave as VOD streams, but rather as broadcast streams.

Tha whole point of VOD is for the client to have control over the stream, and also to take the processing load off the server by only playing the streams that the client requests. I would love to be wrong about this! If you guys have any idea how to make MMS streams into true VOD streams, please let me know.
I have already qualified my statement with respect to MMS streams - I know that true VOD for MMS streams can be done with Windows Media Services, but I have not even tried this with VLC. As such, if you want to question the veracity and accuracy of my statements, I would politely ask you to read what it is that I have said first. Furthermore, I would ask that if you do wish to take issue with what I have posted on this forum that you would not do so in a condescending fashion as my professional background is indeed in the video-on-demand and digital media space and am quite aware of the subtlies of what video-on-demand encompasses.

buscon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby buscon » 20 Nov 2006 17:41

Hi,

I've got the same problem as bxb13.
I'm trying to do VOD with vlc, it works only with rstp protocol, but only for vlc clients.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? even with another linux/gpl software?

thanx

eirik
New Cone
New Cone

Postby eirik » 05 Dec 2006 23:21

Hi,

I've got the same problem as bxb13.
I'm trying to do VOD with vlc, it works only with rstp protocol, but only for vlc clients.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? even with another linux/gpl software?

thanx
Yes, I have the same issue. its seems that real VOD with trick play (pause, fast forward, rewind) using the RTSP protocol in VLC (as server) ONLY work with VLC as client/player.

:o

dirtyd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dirtyd » 27 Dec 2006 14:19

You should try the http VLM interface:

vlc -vvv -I http -I telnet --telnet-password admin --vlm-conf vlm.conf
You may have to edit the .access and .hosts files to access the VOD page. By default located at http://yourhost:8080/vlm.html.

Read this page and follow the links for creating custom pages to avoid RSI from typing in URLs and settings via the web interface. It shouldn't be too hard to put together a page with some cut and paste or a script that makes all your content playable.

http://www.videolan.org/doc/play-howto/ ... l#id293635

If you have already done the legwork of making your content available just change it to stream on demand as rtsp. Then your custom web page need only adjust the source to point to the stream you want and then redirect the player to the same mms://:3128 stream.

Maybe even pass in the filename as an parameter in the URL and use it to setup the mms stream. Followed by redirect you have mms streaming on demand.

Return to “VLM”