Live streaming server

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
Blinkiz
New Cone
New Cone

Live streaming server

Postby Blinkiz » 27 Jan 2009 12:55

Am about to give a proposal to a customer how to set up a live streaming server.
The system will have multiply vlc clients recording from different rooms onto a centralized place. On this centralized place, streams will be saved and also streamed right away to end users.

Code: Select all

/-- web browser as client recorder --\ /-- web browser as client recorder ---\ /-- Live streaming -< recorder ------ Media center --< \-- web browser as client recorder ---/ \ recorder --/ \ -- Save recording 1 to file. \ -- Save recording 2 to file. \ -- Save recording 3 to file. \ -- And so on...
In this setup, what can vlc help me with? I know vlc can record. Can it be a centralized media server? What plugin to use in web browser? It would be perfect if its possible to use Flash here. And yes, I understand that a lot of programming will be needed to get this running. I just curious what vlc can help out with.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Live streaming server

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Jan 2009 15:55

Well, VLC can be the recorder, and the media center. I can also save to files and stream to live.

VLC can also be the browser plugin to read the video.

VLC can stream to HTTP in FLV, but this is NOT a good quality option and it cannot do RTMP. If you want RTMP/flv outside of VLC, you have to code it. Else, you don't need to code.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

muse
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.86c
Operating System: Linux

Re: Live streaming server

Postby muse » 21 Mar 2009 15:09

Vlc supports now flv transcoding, but consider RED5 if you want to build an open source media server based on flash videos..
RED5 is not as stable as Adobe FMS, cause rtmp is a close protocol and in RED5 it is implemented by reverse engineering..
but the good news is that after the growth of Microsoft Silverlight (& Novell Moonlight) as streaming technology, Adobe will release soon rtmp protocol's rules..
The only winning move is not to play

Return to “VLM”