How to avoid sending RTCP Goodbye (203) packet type.

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
vice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How to avoid sending RTCP Goodbye (203) packet type.

Postby vice » 12 Nov 2008 18:19

I've noticed a change of behavior between 0.8.6 and the 0.9 branch. As far as I know, 0,9 have introduce some support to sending RTCP packets as a server with the RTP stream module. I've tested 0.9.4 and 0.9.6 versions against a 0.8.6i, just to check my findings.

What I would like as a feature (don't know if its possible) is to disable the sending of RTCP Goodbye(203) packet type when I stop a VLM broadcast element or the input file being played reach the end. If this is not possible perhaps there's a way to avoid ANY RTCP packet.

Why I need this? Simply, because I'm trying to do a switch between different inputs files and a live stream using different VLM broadcast elements configured to stream by RTP (See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47414 for more info). But if I stop and play another VLM broadcast element, the client stops because it receives a RTCP Goodbye packet. So the swtch effect is completely lost.

This could be a feature, if it's not possible. But what bother me more (and I think this could be a trac ticket) is the fact that if the VLM broadcast elements is in loop mode, each time the file reach the end, VLM sends a RTCP Goodbye packet closing the client and avoiding the client to see any "loop".

I tried to configure the VLM broadcast elements with sout-keep option with no effect. This could be a good option (feature): if sout-keep is ativated, don't send RTCP goodbye packets.

Thanks in advance.

vice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How to avoid sending RTCP Goodbye (203) packet type.

Postby vice » 16 Jan 2009 13:33

Don't needed this anymore.
Changed architecture to playlist items switching and streaming adding gather module and sout-keep option.
This way, RTCP bye payload is not transmitted and as an extra bonus you get a more robust streaming (don't change source port for example).

Put here for reference and for other forum users information.

Return to “VLM”