Trouble with vod and vlm on web interface

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
user1
New Cone
New Cone

Trouble with vod and vlm on web interface

Postby user1 » 05 Aug 2008 00:00

Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or posted in the wrong place, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting things going, and I'm pretty new to this.

What I'm trying to do is set up a VOD server. I followed the guide, but it hasn't been working for me. So , I've been using the web interface to try and configure this.

The video on demand element loads up ok, but I can't seem to connect to it from other machines. I'm trying to serve video from Windows XP, and then connect with either Windows XP or Ubuntu Linux. I'm only trying to connect with the VLC player currently.

Here's how I'm trying to connect: Either, opening vlc player and choosing to connect to a network stream (then specifying "rtps://x.x.x.x:1234/Test" as what to connect to) or by using the command line in Linux (with the command "vlc rtsp://x.x.x.x:1234/Test"). I've also tried connecting on different port numbers.

When using the vlm web interface, do i need to be specifying options? I've tried adding options such as "--rstp-host" and "--port-5554" and then trying to connect on port 5554, but nothing seems to be working.

Hope all of this makes sense, and any help would be appreciated as I'm tearing my hair out.

Thanks!

novamxd
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Trouble with vod and vlm on web interface

Postby novamxd » 14 Aug 2008 23:48

Try this on your streaming server

Run VLC using:

Code: Select all

vlc -I http --rtsp-host 0.0.0.0:554 --http-host 0.0.0.0:8080
In the Web Interface add:

new myvod vod enabled setup myvod input "c:\test.mp3"
If you want to change the output of your stream add something like this, otherwise don't add anything:

setup myvod output #transcode{acodec=mp4a,ab=192,channels=2}
Access from other computers by typing in:

rtsp://*local server ip*/myvod
The default port for RTSP is 554 and thus is omitted from the address.

If all that doesn't work, try running VLC with this first (close it after it opens) and then start from the top

vlc --reset-config
And if that doesn't work, make sure that you're allowing VLC through your firewall

Return to “VLM”