VLM Multiple Broadcast + Darwin *still unresolved*

Discussion about configuration and usage of VLM (a stream scheduler) within VLC.
novamxd
New Cone
New Cone

VLM Multiple Broadcast + Darwin *still unresolved*

Postby novamxd » 11 Aug 2008 00:54

Hello!

For the past... 6 or so months I've been trying to accomplish one thing:

Streaming Internet Radio (using VLC as an encoder for MP4a-LATM) to my Samsung u740 phone using the RTSP protocol.

The reason for it is I like radio more then the 2 GB worth of songs I can put on my MicroSD card AND I didn't feel like paying my useless cell company an extra $7.00/month.

And I'm glad to say that I'm finally able to do it using VLC as the encoder and Darwin as the RTSP server. (yay!) But I have a small problem. The internet radio provider I'm using has multiple stations I like and the only way I know so far to broadcast to Darwin is by using a command like:

setup clubfmbroad output #transcode{acodec=mp4a-latm,ab=96,channels=2}:rtp{dst=127.0.0.1,port=1234,sdp=file://"C:\Program Files\Darwin Streaming Server\Movies\clubfm.sdp"}}

Which does a live boardcast of the radio station at 96Kbps/sec on my local adapter on port 1234. That being said, if I decide to play multiple broadcasts like:

setup clubfmbroad output #transcode{acodec=mp4a-latm,ab=96,channels=2}:rtp{dst=127.0.0.1,port=1234,sdp=file://"C:\Program Files\Darwin Streaming Server\Movies\clubfm.sdp"}}

setup top40fmbroad output #transcode{acodec=mp4a-latm,ab=96,channels=2}:rtp{dst=127.0.0.1,port=1234,sdp=file://"C:\Program Files\Darwin Streaming Server\Movies\top40fm.sdp"}}

I can't because they both need port 1234. Now I've tried incrementing the port by one for each broadcast with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could use multiple VLC broadcasts with Darwin?
Last edited by novamxd on 14 Aug 2008 23:07, edited 2 times in total.

novamxd
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLM Multiple Broadcast + Darwin

Postby novamxd » 14 Aug 2008 11:58

Ok while I've been waiting for a response I've tried experimenting with different things like:

1) Create a loop back adapter each with it's own separate IP and broadcast to that adapter (then later use Darwin to access the stream). This didn't work.

2) Create a VLC based RTSP server with a broadcast element like so:

Code: Select all

new clubfmbroad broadcast enabled setup clubfmbroad input *input stream* setup clubfmbroad output #transcode{acodec=mp4a-latm,ab=90,channels=2}:rtp{sdp=rtsp://0.0.0.0/clubfm.sdp}
Now fortunately step 2 (sort of) works. It works for local network computers, but not for ones beyond my router. Now I've port forwarded 554 over TCP and 1 to 65535 over UDP to the local address of the streaming computer (10.25.20.6). And have disabled NAT on ports 554, and 1024 to 65535. I can connect to the RTSP server using my device but it doesn't receive the stream (similarly with VLC as a client).

Here's the command line to I use start VLC

-I http:wxwidget --rtsp-host 0.0.0.0:554 --http-host 0.0.0.0:8080 --sout-rtp-mp4a-latm
Here's the contents to the SDP file (as per the debug log anyway)

v=0 o=- 618801872 1 IN IP4 127.0.0.1 s=NONE t=0 0 a=tool:vlc 0.8.6h c=IN IP4 10.25.20.6 m=audio 6970 RTP/AVP 96 b=AS:90 a=rtpmap:96 MP4A-LATM/44100/2 a=fmtp:96 profile-level-id=15; object=2; cpresent=0; config=400024203fc0
Does anyone have any idea as to what I should do? If I'm missing something configured in my router, or a setting missed in VLC?

novamxd
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLM Multiple Broadcast + Darwin

Postby novamxd » 14 Aug 2008 12:22

Also Darwin Streaming Server seems to be able to stream just fine with the same router config as I have with VLC, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm missing.

novamxd
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLM Multiple Broadcast + Darwin *still unresolved*

Postby novamxd » 15 Aug 2008 11:27

So I created a some what of a work around for my personal use (although I'd rather solve this so I can broadcast the RTSP streams publicly).

Basically what I did was I made a PHP control interface on my web server (http://secnem.com) which allows me to remotely change which radio station is being broadcast at anytime.

It looks like when I'm not logged in:

And when I log in it dynamically grabs, parses, and displays the information from the VLM web interface on my RTSP server on my local network which displays it something like:

Which I can access from my phone and control which station I want to listen to by pressing the "Listen" link after I Start/Stop the broadcast I want.

Now as I mentioned, I'd like to be able to not have to Start/Stop any of the broadcasts and access them like regular VOD using RTSP outside of my network. But Darwin cannot function with more than one Broadcast, and VLC cannot seem to broadcast RTP over my router (even with NAT disabled).

Return to “VLM”