Addition to Profile: Computer Specs.

Discussion about forum rules, new moderators, website content, website layout, VideoLAN artwork etc..
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Addition to Profile: Computer Specs.

Postby CloudStalker » 11 Apr 2007 23:39

Would it be possible to add a new addition to the Profile: "Computer Specs"? I've seen this on a few other websites.

The user can put in information about what type of computer he/she is running. Example:

CPU: AMD...
GFX: ATI...
GFX Divers: ?...
Sound card: Creative...
Sound card Drivers: ?...

And other relative information about their computer.

This is useful when trying to access a problem with someones computer and VLC media player. Often times there's important information left out which causes many who are tyring to help to become confused (not just me who's confused about everything). :? Huh? Anyway. :P

I'm hoping this is a good idea, please consider it.

joseph5
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby joseph5 » 13 Apr 2007 00:42

You can post those specs in your signature.

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 13 Apr 2007 01:28

Well the way I've seen it set up is a little different from what is allowed here. It will show this information in boxs (or columns) while still displaying the signature separately. It would look more like this post: :arrow: This one, here

RoLex
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows

Postby RoLex » 23 Apr 2007 19:12

Computer specifications seems to be useless, but something like VLC version and OS would be absolutely useful. Setting it as required field with an option like "I don't use VLC" would be even better; All questions like "What is your version of VLC?" could be skipped. But ofcourse, not many users who would remember to update it every time they update the client. (making the value of that field more visible for each user should increase the updating procedure tho) :idea:

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby CloudStalker » 23 Apr 2007 19:38

Computer specifications seems to be useless, but something like VLC version and OS would be absolutely useful.
Well I don't know about "useless" seeing as some users may say they have problems with the video without mentioning that they're running Windows Vista, where there are many known complications.

Also there are know issues with some sound cards (Reltech / Creative) and it may leave some (me) guessing as to why the video skip, why the sound doesn't, S/PDIF problems, ect. Listing drivers are also useful.

As for updates to the profile, many people leave their computers untampered for years and years, so there shouldn't be much editing, right?

joseph5

Postby joseph5 » 27 Apr 2007 23:55

As for updates to the profile, many people leave their computers untampered for years and years, so there shouldn't be much editing, right?
I think he means editing the profile each time they download and install a new VLC version.

Return to “Forum, Website and Artwork discussion”