Unable to login to trac.videolan.org

Discussion about forum rules, new moderators, website content, website layout, VideoLAN artwork etc..
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
jelockwood
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Unable to login to trac.videolan.org

Postby jelockwood » 11 Jun 2019 01:06

I have previously created an account on trac.videolan.org and previously posts regarding bugs.

I have admittedly not logged in for a long time, however I have tried to do so today with what I believe is my correct password and definitely correct users name (I was able to see a ticket with my user name). I also tried resetting my password and it would not let me.

If an administrator can send me a private message I will provide my user name and email address so you can help me regain access to my account.

Note: Just in case I tried re-registering and it said the user name is in use so it seems my account is still there somewhere.

christopherw
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Unable to login to trac.videolan.org

Postby christopherw » 26 Jun 2019 00:13

Same problem here - my trac username is christopherw yet my last password doesn't work. Attempting to password recovery gives a failure message and asks me to use the username & email combination I signed up with.

Is this some anti-spam / anti-DDoS? I remember having problems with trac last time.
boo

libove
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby libove » 24 Jul 2019 12:46

Same problem. My (saved in password vault) ID + password (specifically for the Trac system for VLC) produces a bad username or password error; password reset doesn't send me an email; and attempting to register again gives the error that my email address is already registered...

zzhhbyt1
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zzhhbyt1 » 22 Oct 2019 18:27

Same here...

SkipR
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SkipR » 03 Aug 2020 12:44

Has anyone found who is the admin for trac.videolan.org and how to contact them ?

sgparry
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sgparry » 04 Aug 2020 02:26

Same problem here.
Has anyone found who is the admin for trac.videolan.org and how to contact them ?
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - The final grail quest castle scene - John Cleese is playing the Videolan admin.

libove
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby libove » 04 Aug 2020 06:32

I was able to complete the setup just now. I registered a new account using my old username and a different email address than the one that seemed to be caught in the trac.videolan.org system.
I received the welcome/confirmation email at that secondary email address and completed the verification.
Then in the new account profile I updated the email address to my primary email address (the one that had been stuck before), and it worked - I received a second confirmation email, this time to the just-requested-to-change-to original email address, verified there, and done.
It *shouldn't* work this way, because if my primary email address was really in use in the system then it shouldn't have allowed my new account to try to change to that address, but I guess because of exactly how data got out-of-sync in the system, it did. Maybe this will work for someone else, too.

jelockwood
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jelockwood » 04 Aug 2020 09:32

I was able to complete the setup just now. I registered a new account using my old username and a different email address than the one that seemed to be caught in the trac.videolan.org system.
Now that you are able to login to the trac system could you post a bug in the trac reporting system reporting that many peoples accounts have been broken and reference this thread.

Thanks.

libove
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby libove » 04 Aug 2020 17:19

jelockwood
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jelockwood » 04 Aug 2020 18:47

Thanks for doing this. It looks like they have replied to your bug report but are not recognising the problem as still existing. THEY ARE WRONG.

Here are a couple of screen shots.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MEQi3M ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LWbG9h ... sp=sharing

As per picture 1 I cannot reset my account. As per picture 2 it says the account already exists.

Please update your ticket to make them aware it still is broken. Feel free to attach copies of my pictures to your ticket.

I can't reset the password because I cannot login and the forgot password option does not work.

christopherw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby christopherw » 07 Aug 2020 21:03

Likewise.
boo

bers
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bers » 28 Aug 2020 19:40

There is a host of other people who have the same issue, see https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?p=508043

Maybe someone can add this link to the above bug report.

bers
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bers » 04 Sep 2020 10:09

Then in the new account profile I updated the email address to my primary email address (the one that had been stuck before), and it worked - I received a second confirmation email, this time to the just-requested-to-change-to original email address, verified there, and done.
What I would be interested to know: is your new account, now being associated with the old email address, also associated with your previous bug reports, comments etc.? Or is this still a new, "empty" account that just happens to share the email address with your old, still separate account?

libove
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby libove » 04 Sep 2020 10:55

What I would be interested to know: is your new account, now being associated with the old email address, also associated with your previous bug reports, comments etc.? Or is this still a new, "empty" account that just happens to share the email address with your old, still separate account?
My new(ly recovered) account is fully the same as my old account. I didn't lose any of my old bug reports, etc.

bers
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bers » 17 Sep 2020 22:17

My new(ly recovered) account is fully the same as my old account. I didn't lose any of my old bug reports, etc.
That sounds promising. I have tried the same with a new account. (Note the name was different from my old account.)

First time I entered my old email in the new account, it seems I was logged out.
Second time I entered my old email in the new account, it now says "Warning: The email address specified is already in use. Please specify a different one."

Never received an email, login to old account or recover password still does not work.

Edit: Then I re-did the same with another new account having the same name as my old account. This time, it worked. I registered a new account (bers with bers@another-domain.com), did not confirm the confirmation email at that address, then changed my email to bers@original-domain.com). "All of your tickets" (https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/report/20) shows my stuff! Thank you!

da2424
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby da2424 » 07 Oct 2020 23:09

I received the welcome/confirmation email at that secondary email address and completed the verification.
It *shouldn't* work this way, because if my primary email address was really in use in the system then it shouldn't have allowed my new account to try to change to that address, but I guess because of exactly how data got out-of-sync in the system, it did. Maybe this will work for someone else, too.
This workaround has worked for me, too. But it seems important to confirm the second email address with the confirmation email before switching back to the primary email address. Otherwise, I havn't received a confirmation email for the primary email address.

Return to “Forum, Website and Artwork discussion”