VLC Forum Hacked? and etrade phishing attack

Discussion about forum rules, new moderators, website content, website layout, VideoLAN artwork etc..
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
usera
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Forum Hacked? and etrade phishing attack

Postby usera » 17 Jul 2006 23:32

I posted this in the videolan subforum and it was deleted instead of moved to here I guess.

Anyway I posted here cause my original post was deleted instead of being addressed. Which is my email that's used for videolan forum and only videolan forum was just sent an etrade phishing much like those ebay emails and obviously it seems the forum was hacked or somehow the email addresses are leaked. Since my original topic was deleted instead of addressed which should be addressed I'm posting again hoping for a more appropriate response since this needs to be made public instead of hiding it.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 17 Jul 2006 23:39

As i just said in the private message i sent you, i deleted your post while cleaning up spam on the forum (which can be quite hazardous). My initial answer was: http://altair.videolan.org/~xtophe/Capture-3.png .

If you have proof about what your are saying, please send it to me so we can fix any issue we have.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 17 Jul 2006 23:49

Looking at these messages ... it looks like the "email" button provides the user's real email address (which is weird ... i though that it wasn't supposed to). We updated to latest phpBB 1 or 2 weeks ago which might match the date when you began to receive the spam. I'll try to see why this email button is working while the email isn't available in the profile view.
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 17 Jul 2006 23:53

Another likely explanation is that you answered yes to "Always show my e-mail address" in your profile. If that is the case, please say so so i can stop being afraid that phpBB got all messed up :)
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea

HyperHacker
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 0.8.6e
Operating System: WinXP SP2

Postby HyperHacker » 11 Aug 2006 06:59

Apparently some other phpBBs got hacked a while back through some new exploit, and the emails were stolen. :(
[ PC: WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 250GB HD | 256MB Radeon 9550 | 1.7ghz AMD Sempron | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]
[ Laptop: Gateway MX7515 | WXP Pro SP2 | 1GB RAM | 100GB HD | 128MB Mobility Radeon X600 | 2.6ghz AMD Athlon | VLC 0.8.6e (wxWidgets) ]

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Aug 2006 10:47

This one is up to date, and hasn't been. Not that time.

Return to “Forum, Website and Artwork discussion”