another website redesign proposal

Discussion about forum rules, new moderators, website content, website layout, VideoLAN artwork etc..
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
Neurotic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

another website redesign proposal

Postby Neurotic » 12 Jun 2006 09:46

Hi,

We already have made a redesign
http://www.neuroticweb.com/proyectos_externos/videoLAN but we have made two more. We only made a few changes in the old one but in the new redesigns we have made more changes.

Here we have removed the second news section because there is no sense to put two news sections in the home page. With one news section and a link to another page with all the news (maybe a blog?) is enough.

The second one is a step beyond. We asked ourself: "What's the most important of the videolan web?" We think the most important is the VLC so we have highlighted this section.

The following most important sections are the news section and the video streaming server section.

Finally we put the "about videolan" in another color area in order to difference it from the main content.

What redesign do you prefer? (in order to continue the redesign)

Neurotic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Neurotic » 15 Jun 2006 16:29

no comments or opinions?

Buachall
New Cone
New Cone

Finding the Forum!

Postby Buachall » 16 Jun 2006 01:35

Hi there,

I have a thought that doesn't actually relate to the good people creating the new website designs! I have seen a few designs and they are all great with slight ambiguities but worthy for consideration! My train of thought is on the VLC forum. When I visited the VLC URL and got to the main site, I actually do not see the word or link "Forum". I think this is a key part to VLC, because I assume many people might visit to see how VLC is progressing! Only by fiddling around, do I find the forum. The forum itself has no link back to the main VideoLan.org I first arrived at. It would be better (in my opinion) to target VLC related website content via "_blank" (opening new windows) instead of in the same browser window, because these other areas don't link back to the main site!
With that said, the good work done here by volunteering contributers is worthy of recognition and may the VLC project grow steadily and productively!

Cheers! :wink:
I'm hoping to contribute something to this project.
A program is only as good as the code put into it!

Tombigel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Tombigel » 16 Jun 2006 01:54

In the section "Help" there is a link "web forums".
in the original site, and in all the redesigns.

Neurotic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Neurotic » 16 Jun 2006 12:09

any comments or opinions about the design?

Taipan

Postby Taipan » 16 Jun 2006 12:47

any comments or opinions about the design?
I find your design of the "new" VLC web page a lot nicer and user-friendly that the one that is still running. Nice job!

Neurotic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Neurotic » 16 Jun 2006 12:59

Thanks Taipan

(where do you want we send the money agreed? :P )

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 16 Jun 2006 13:56

Hello,

I really like these two designs, altough I have some trouble saying which one I prefer.

I like how you put forward the VLC section in the 2nd one, but for the streaming solution and news sections, I think I preferred the design in the 1st solution :)
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Buachall
New Cone
New Cone

How Designs were done?

Postby Buachall » 16 Jun 2006 14:31

Can I be a cheeky chappy :D and ask what software packages were used to make these designs?

I code HTML from scratch, have touched on Dreamweaver and have used Serif Drawplus.

The designs are great and will make the site shine when implemented.

Cheers. :wink:
A program is only as good as the code put into it!

peter65464321354

Postby peter65464321354 » 16 Jun 2006 16:30

i like both designs but it would be very hard to code it in html and css because of the internet explorer :(

Neurotic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Neurotic » 19 Jun 2006 15:31

Hello,

I really like these two designs, altough I have some trouble saying which one I prefer.

I like how you put forward the VLC section in the 2nd one, but for the streaming solution and news sections, I think I preferred the design in the 1st solution :)
I think that the home page needs to be focused on your principal product, the VLC. The news and video streaming server are secondary items (and the visitors searching for server are more expert than the vlc users so it isn't a problem that the server was in the bottom for the first ones)

Neurotic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How Designs were done?

Postby Neurotic » 19 Jun 2006 15:33

Can I be a cheeky chappy :D and ask what software packages were used to make these designs?

I code HTML from scratch, have touched on Dreamweaver and have used Serif Drawplus.

The designs are great and will make the site shine when implemented.

Cheers. :wink:
Well, our web designer used Fireworks to make the image. To make the html we used Dreamwever (the designer) and Quanta.

Neurotic
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Neurotic » 19 Jun 2006 15:34

i like both designs but it would be very hard to code it in html and css because of the internet explorer :(
We have experience with Internet Explorer bugs, don't worry the html will be very similar to the image in Firefox, Explorer, Konqueror, Opera, etc.

tonsofpcs

Postby tonsofpcs » 03 Aug 2006 01:12

I like the style and design, but am worried that it may be image heavy. Would need to see the actual page to give my full opinion.

Return to “Forum, Website and Artwork discussion”