Instructions to install the nightly builds

Discussion about forum rules, new moderators, website content, website layout, VideoLAN artwork etc..
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
Chimel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Instructions to install the nightly builds

Postby Chimel » 28 Jan 2011 19:27

Hi, are there setup instructions on the web site on how to install the nightly builds?
I looked at the README file included in the builds, they contain these 2 lines:

INSTALL - Installation instructions.
INSTALL.win32 - Installation instructions for the Win32 version of VLC.

But there are no INSTALL files or folders in the free or debug builds, is that maybe because they are too unstable?
http://nightlies.videolan.org/ contains only instructions on how to download the nightly builds, which is not very helpful if you can't install them! :)
I searched the VLC site and the forums and couldn't find anything either.
I am trying to regress bug #3816 on the latest build.

Thanks,
Chimel.

Chimel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Instructions to install the nightly builds

Postby Chimel » 29 Jan 2011 00:30

OK, maybe I should have mentioned that I am also personally interested in the setup instructions if you have them, even if you can't fix the web site by adding them there. Posting the instructions in this thread would be good to me too! ^-^

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

wth

Postby Ludrax » 29 Jan 2011 04:24

An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Jan 2011 09:04

Well, the nightly builds are test builds for advanced users.
No offense but if you don't know what to do with these files then it might be better no to use them at all :)

Chimel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chimel » 29 Jan 2011 10:44

No offense @Lotesdelere but only builders would know where to find these INSTALL files, not advanced users.
It's precisely because I have been an advanced user for 20 years, just not familiar with git, that I prefer to ask those who know rather than guess.
People who are willing to help wouldn't go far with you if you deny them the very information that makes it possible to know what to do with these files.
The information I needed is just "run vlc.exe from the extraction folder," it is sad if you think you'd lose your nerdy status by sharing this small secret.

Thanks, @Ludrax, I was able to regress and comment my bug. Unfortunately, some of it is fixed, some is unchanged, and there's even a regression from 1.1.6, so there's still work to do on it! ^-^

I suggest that for advanced users who are not builders, the INSTALL files are added to the manifest in a way that will include them in the compiled builds.
Maybe only the debug builds if space is at a premium. It's not necessary to provide setup instructions on the web site if the INSTALL files are included.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 29 Jan 2011 13:59

From your first post it wasn't very clear to me what did you want to achieve, especially since you posted in a forum called "Forum, Website and Artwork discussion" which has abviously nothing to do with install or troubleshooting, hence the warning.

Because yes, I prefer to keep people away from nightly builds rather than having to deal with tons of messages like "My computer is broken since I installed the nightly build" as it has already happened in the past.

The information I needed is just "run vlc.exe from the extraction folder," it is sad if you think you'd lose your nerdy status by sharing this small secret.
It is actually sad that you do think something like that and trying to making it personal. Go out and cool off a bit. Nothing is secret, everything is open, the source, the wiki, the forums, the IRC channel.

Chimel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chimel » 29 Jan 2011 17:24

Sorry, but my first post had everything to do with "Website".
I mentioned a specific web page that has links to how to download the nightly builds but leaves out how to install them. Can't be more relevant or precise.
Besides, even after I learned the information from @Ludrax, the web site or the build process still needs to be fixed or other users will ask the same question, so a generic troubleshooting forum did not seem appropriate for the original post.

I also mentioned my goal, which was to regress a very specific bug number, but you are right, it was not clear that I still needed the information, hence my second clarification post after I saw many people reading this thread but not answering.

Well I don't believe you're trying to protect your nerdy status, I just wanted to make sure I got your attention because you obviously did not realize how offensive your first post could be, especially from a mod. Some guy is asking for a very tiny bit of trivial information, and instead of helping or asking his purpose or redirecting him to a more appropriate forum, you make it sound like you straight away assumes he is not worth this information.

So let's both chill out, and I hope to shake your hand when I'm back in Europe. You and VLC are doing a much needed job and I constantly recommend VLC or denounce scam sites that make users pay for VLC in in Microsoft social.answer.com forums about WMP and Windows Starter, even though I worked for them for more time than I care to remember...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Jan 2011 18:00

I guess you are on Windows, so
Go http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/?C=M;O=D
take the first folder that starts with "trunk, like http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win ... 0129-1244/
download the exe and install it like a normal vlc.

Oh, and btw, if you are the one that filled the info on the track ticket, thanks a lot, this is very useful... It is rare to see people actually doing tests.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Chimel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chimel » 29 Jan 2011 19:54

Thanks, j-b, I went straight to the trunk debug build for the logger, although I suppose it's also present in the free builds, that's probably why I didn't look too much on the free builds and the exe.
Actually I prefer to run the build from the extracted folder, I suppose installing VLC via the executable will replace my stable build and might mess up my computer, not worth it to regress just a single bug. I was able to run both 1.1.6 and 1.2 in parallel to compare their behaviors.

By the way, do you call the non-debug builds "free" builds too? Or are they like the new OpenOffice called libre builds? ^-^

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 30 Jan 2011 12:05

Take the .7z or the .zip, it will do the same.
And I understand nothing about your last question. Non-debug builds are builds stripped from symbols.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Chimel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Chimel » 30 Jan 2011 17:53

"Builds stripped from symbols" is a bit long compared to "debug builds," that's why they're called "free builds" at Microsoft, as in "free from symbols."
This way both types of builds have a short name easy to reference and distinguish.

Return to “Forum, Website and Artwork discussion”