Removing DirectX

Old forum that is now archived. Please use one of the other forums.

Removing DirectX

Postby Guest » 17 Apr 2005 23:46

Recently i Removed the most part of files of the DirectX 9 from my Operation System (Windows 98 without Internet Explorer). I only let the following: ddhelp.exe, Ddraw.dll, Ddraw16.dll, Dsound.dll, Dxapi.sys, ddraw.vxd. To make all programs working correctlty. The sound and video quality remained perfect.
I don't have installed in my Operation System any version of Windows Media Player, so to run files like WMV and ASF, I installed a program called VideoLan 0.8.1. This Program was able to open WMV and ASf Files, but with delay. So I installed Directx again and the files opened correctly without delay. But i don't want to have Directx Installed in my PC, so i would like to know what file or files it´s necessary to run WMV and ASF without all files of DirectX and without Windows Media Player.

lleoliveira@yahoo.com.br

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 21 Apr 2005 02:44

These are different things.

DirectX is used for:
1) Video acquisition (Webcams, framegrabbers, tv tuner cards...)
2) Video display (under Windows you can use DirectX video output, or OpenGL, with some video cards doing better with one or the other)

ASF is an "encapsulation method", a container, a format for how the video and audio are packaged, given that they have been encoded somehow. Many different video or audio coder/decoders (CODECs) may be used -- "ASF" tells the program (whether VLC, WMP, or other) howthe fields of audio, video, and control information are put together.

WMV is an actual Windows Media Video codec, something created by Microsoft. WMV1 and WMV2 are supported "out of the box" by VLC, on all operating systems. If something is recorded using WMV3 for the video CODEC, it can only be decoded on a Windows PC, in which case VLC uses the WMV CODECs supplied with the newer versions of Windows Media Player (Microsoft came out with an interface, only useable on Windows, to access the CODEC. It is known as DMO)

This doesn't answer your question, just provides a bit of information.

Personally, I suggest that people get the latest DirectX for their version of Windows, plus the latest WMP (if they want to be able to decode WMV3-encoded video files on a Windows PC).

Return to “VideoLAN”