Installing VLC on Windows- Misplaced files

Old forum that is now archived. Please use one of the other forums.
sakols
New Cone
New Cone

Installing VLC on Windows- Misplaced files

Postby sakols » 24 Mar 2005 08:29

I just downloaded and installed VLC on my XP machine and found that a file called Layout (with the little VLC cone icon) showed up in several folders it didn't belong in. What is causing this and are there other problems it could create for my system?

Thanks

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 24 Mar 2005 17:51

The file was already there before, and has an extension (i suspect .dat) that is also recognized by VLC as a format that it might possibly be able to open.
This is not a VLC installed file, it just gets the VLC icon because VLC says it can open .dat files.

notice that many fileformats use .dat extensions and that these are all dissimilar. In effect VLC probably won't be able to open the files at all.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 24 Mar 2005 18:31

These mystery files were all called layout, and when you clicked on it, it opened the DVD player windows style UI, nothing more. They showed up in several places.

sakols
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sakols » 24 Mar 2005 18:33

These mystery files were all called layout, and when you clicked on it, it opened the DVD player windows style UI, nothing more. They showed up in several places.

gordo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby gordo » 28 Mar 2005 21:07

I have just installed VLC Media player 0.8.1 on XP and found that some .bin files have had notepad icons & associations changed to VLC player's.
Is thisa bug or does VLC think it can open these file types?
How do I change these associations/icons back to their original.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 28 Mar 2005 21:16

Do a search for one of the files. Right click on it and pick "Open with" -- "Choose Program". Hunt for the program you want, then click the "Always use" checkbox.

Overall, this should be harmless. A .bin is often simply a binary -- individual apps that have their own .bin files, use them, should still be able to use them just fine.

Return to “VideoLAN”