Is it acceptable to offer payments to resolve problems?

Old forum that is now archived. Please use one of the other forums.
SoftwareDave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Is it acceptable to offer payments to resolve problems?

Postby SoftwareDave » 21 Sep 2004 19:13

I'm using VLC as a multicasting solution at quite a high profile location - Las Vegas airport. Unfortunately I've got a problem - see my posting here: viewtopic.php?t=4473.

As you will see, as of today I have had no replies. I understand that this is all free, and I appreciate all that the VLC team have done, but I need to get a resolution on this as soon as possible as the customer is getting rowdy.

So I was wondering if it is acceptable to offer a payment for resolution of matters like this? I don't want to commit any violations of forum rules, but I could see no reference to this in the FAQ.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Darn customers...

Postby markfm » 21 Sep 2004 19:36

Gotta give 'em a dope slap once in a while :)

Check my response - you may have missed a cache, as there are at least 3 involved, not 2. (server_input_source_cache, server_network_output_cache, client_RX cache)

I keep thinking there's a 4th around somewhere, but darned if I can recall it.

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 21 Sep 2004 19:40

I just replied to your other post.

SoftwareDave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SoftwareDave » 21 Sep 2004 19:41

I've read your suggestion, and I'll give it a shot.

I'm serious about the idea of paying, though. It is a high profile system out there, and there may come a point when I need something solving that I can't do myself.

Dave

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 21 Sep 2004 20:36

Doing what I documented should give you the results I reported -- no magic, just using a standard test video with timestamps to 1/100 second.

I believe there's a PayPal link on the main VLC page, not sure if it's the videolan.org page or the actual VLC one. It's not a work-for-fee link, of course, rather a general donate-if-you-feel-like-it kind of thing.

There really should be one last cache value having an impact, something set to 120 or 150 ms on my machine. You could just go through settings-preferences, scroll through all options. Knock every cache value down to either 0 or 30 ms, see what happens.

Return to “VideoLAN”