Manually Select Output Device (S/PDIF)

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
koverdorf
New Cone
New Cone

Manually Select Output Device (S/PDIF)

Postby koverdorf » 21 Jul 2011 21:54

I have been looking for a solution to my problem for a while to no avail so I figured I would post my issue.

I like to play a show/movie for my GF while I play a game using my Headphones. I use Z-5500 speakers with S/PDIF (optical) out with an HT Omega card and USB headphones.

I was able choose my HT Omega sound card as the output in VLC using Preferences, All Settings, Output Modules, and setting HT Omega in all available "output device" drop downs. Then I could set my headphones as my default playback device in Windows and all was good.

BUT! One problem. When I play media that has digital audio i only get PCM out on the speakers. I have it set for "Win32 waveOut..." with "Use S/PDIF when available". Yet it wont output digital audio anymore.

i have since set everything back to my original settings and it will now output digital. Is there any way to output digital audio when manually setting the output device?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Manually Select Output Device (S/PDIF)

Postby VLC_help » 22 Jul 2011 21:11

Does Audio -> Audio Device menu show A/52 over S/PDIF option during playback?

koverdorf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby koverdorf » 04 Aug 2011 01:15

That option is not visible. But at this moment all audio has stopped working. I am not pursuing this thread topic anymore. I am just trying to get audio to work again.

The loss of audio was actually very sudden and unprovoked. No settings were changed it just stopped working one day. I followed this thread (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61015) to resolve the issue by renaming the EXE to VLC2.exe but that then broke all my file icons. So I tried the reg edit and that did nothing.

koverdorf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby koverdorf » 04 Aug 2011 02:24

Also, I use s/pdif so currently ONLY digital audio is playing. Everything else is not.

koverdorf
New Cone
New Cone

Postby koverdorf » 04 Aug 2011 17:12

I said screw it and I am just using Digital audio for everything and it is working now.

Audio -> Audio Device menu show A/52 over S/PDIF option during playback ---- This is only visible when the audio source is Digital (Bluray, dvd, DD, DTS...) If the source is PCM that option is not there. But like I said I am not pursuing this topic anymore.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”