macOS specific usage questions
mr_a500
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6 - present
Operating System: MacOS / BeOS / Amiga

Remember Playlist column widths!

Postby mr_a500 » 08 Jul 2011 19:17

Every single time I start VLC with multiple files, I have to adjust the Playlist column widths because it doesn't remember my previous setting and the "Name" field is stupidly short. Also, the order is not remembered and I have to click to order by "Name" every time for it to play in correct order. It would be nice if there was a way to remember both the column widths and the order.

It would also be nice if the fullscreen controls would remember position. I have to move it down every time.

(I wish all software would follow the Amiga "snapshot" philosophy.)

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Remember Playlist column widths!

Postby fkuehne » 10 Jul 2011 19:07

Saving the playlist layout is supported for a couple of years in terms of column width and works correctly (just tested). Regrettably, doesn't save the table sorting. Should be fixed, I agree.
The fullscreen controller's position is not preserved and I'm unsure whether it should be, especially since QuickTime and iTunes don't save it either.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

mr_a500
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mr_a500 » 11 Jul 2011 18:22

Please tell me what you did to get the playlist column layout to work correctly. For me, column width for Name always goes to default width - which is way too short.

As for the fullscreen controller position: just because QuickTime and iTunes don't do something, doesn't mean VLC shouldn't do it. If window positions aren't remembered, it forces the user to adjust it every single time (or give it up as futile).

Computers were meant to automate repetitive tasks, not create them. ;)

mr_a500
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mr_a500 » 11 Jul 2011 18:32

I think I've found the trick! It works if I shrink the "Author" field. It must have been continually shrinking the other fields to accommodate "Author". I had already tested it many times without luck, but it seems to be working fine now.

So now, my biggest annoyance is the sorting order (for playing video segments in order). The fullscreen controller position is not as much a big deal.

dauwai
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dauwai » 09 Jan 2014 19:07

My column widths keep changing. Exactly how can I keep them set?

thebrad
New Cone
New Cone

Postby thebrad » 27 Sep 2014 02:09

This is happening to me and I'm up-to-date. Really frustrating... adding to my list of dislikes about VLC. I used to love this thing and the interface is making me dislike...

EDIT EDIT EDIT
Maybe that was human error... I only just updated it earlier and am trying to replicate the problem as I was having the same problem before. It's not happening... for now. I'll report back if anything happens.

(I still have other issues with the way it's been designed lately)

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 28 Sep 2014 19:26

You are welcome to file bug reports, if you can reproduce issues.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”