VLC web plugin: video choppy on IE and Firefox

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
bsun
New Cone
New Cone

VLC web plugin: video choppy on IE and Firefox

Postby bsun » 22 Apr 2011 03:21

Hi

I downloaded VLC 1.1.8 and installed with Firefox plugin(it is automatically changed to FULL features when installing). then, I build a web page to embed the player in the page by using Javascript code. I noticed that there are different viewing experiences in viewing different format, like mp4, avi, and mov. Here's what I observed:

When playing MP4 video, the player is firstly appearing a black screen for about 10-15 seconds after clicking Play button, which is made by Javascript code as suggested in VLC Web Plugin Wiki Doc ( http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:WebPlugin) . I guess it waits for buffering. Once it starts playback, the video is as smooth as expected. video is clear and no choppy at all;

When playing .AVI and .MOV types of videos, the playback is not acceptable. video is appearing really choppy. Also, if the playback is used with Firefox, Firefox browser is crashed pretty often. But if I put same video file in my local folder of my computer then play it with VLC media player, it goes as good as MP4.

I am wondering if you experience same issue or if there's solution at client side with Javascript code to customize buffering. I will be appreciated if you can point me to some docs or code snippet handling this issue. My web application requires to support both IE and Firefox.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: VLC web plugin: video choppy on IE and Firefox

Postby VLC_help » 22 Apr 2011 17:04

Without VLC messages it is hard to say what the problem is with those files. So if you can get the debug messages from the plugin, it would help.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”