Can't figure out Streaming.

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
CrimzinD
New Cone
New Cone

Can't figure out Streaming.

Postby CrimzinD » 07 Feb 2011 21:13

I used to be able to do this, but that was way before 1.0, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong anymore.
I have some .avi files. I want to stream them to a friend, while playing them locally. I simply want to select a file, tell it to play locally, give him my ip address, and let him connect. I connect to the net through a cellphone, so I don't have a router.

If I stream with http, it lets me open the stream locally, but not on another computer in the house (also on a cell, no router), and my friend is unable to access the connection (and he is on a router).

I would really appreciate some help. It's been years since I've been able to get this to work, and I keep looking for tutorials or guides or explanations, and any time I find one, it's out of date, or doesn't help. I'm really getting aggravated, at this point. Thanks in advance.

willowave
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Can't figure out Streaming.

Postby willowave » 07 Mar 2011 17:40

I really can't see how you can stream outside of your network (your cellphone) without a router. Because a router is used to forward ports. Your internal IP will be a local IP (like a 192.168 etc), so I don't see how you will be able to get your friend to the internal stream. I myself am not much help because I can't get my streaming to work INSIDE my network so I can't help you there. (running into the same problem as you, outdated tutorials etc. Trying to be patient. : ) But I do know a bit about networking (am a network admin), so theres my 2 cents. One Idea that does come to mind is something like dyndns.com which will give you a static IP. But again, I'm not much help on getting the stream to that IP.

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”