Capture Card - No Audio (Bug?)

About encoding, codec settings, muxers and filter usage
moviewatcher
New Cone
New Cone

Capture Card - No Audio (Bug?)

Postby moviewatcher » 21 Jan 2004 04:28

Welp, I've been giving this a serious workout and consistently have no audio on the client VLC PC.

Can anyone confirm the audio stream really does work when selecting a Hauppauge as the video in?

I've now tried passing the audio in via my computer's sound card (and trying to stream THAT) this doesn't work either.

Is this a bug (known or unknown) or am I doing something really stupid? If I open a local MPEG file and stream it, the client has both a picture and sound, so I am at least doing something right.

Can anyone help?

Thanks-
Dave

Gibalou
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Gibalou » 25 Jan 2004 20:23

Can you post the logs from your "Messages..." window in there ?

Tommy100
New Cone
New Cone

Got Hauppauge WinTV 350 the equal problems

Postby Tommy100 » 26 Jan 2004 20:18

Hi I got the sameproblem no sound output if i stream from my Hauppauge WinTV 350
Streaming DVD, Files etc. works verry well. Great work, by the way.I wish i can programm like you peoples.
P.S. Sorry for my misserable english. lol
I stream from my WinXP PC with a P4 3. Ghz Soundcard is on motherboard MB = ASUS P4G8X soundcard is Realtek ALC 650 6Channel audio codec to my Labtop.Dont know you need this data
Here My log from labtop as long i view the stream. Picture is perfect but no sound.

main error: picture 025D4708 refcount is -1
main debug: audio output is starving (73762), playing silence
main debug: audio output is starving (73714), playing silence
main debug: audio output is starving (73708), playing silence
main debug: audio output is starving (73717), playing silence
main debug: audio output is starving (73690), playing silence
main debug: audio output is starving (73855), playing silence
ffmpeg warning: cannot decode one frame (61584 bytes)
Maybe you professionals can help me

Thank you

Thomas
P.s. Sorry for my misserable english...

hr_seattle

Postby hr_seattle » 01 Jan 2005 08:04

So, is it safe to assume that nobody has gotten this to actually work? I see lots of posts asking what's wrong and no responses?

father_of_miles

Ditto here

Postby father_of_miles » 01 Jan 2005 23:04

I'm having the same problem (capture card installed on a Linux PC). Files (MPEG, AVI, etc...) stream fine with video + sound, but TV-Capture is video only. On my PC, the TV Card (Hauppauge WinTV) has the audio routed to the CD-in of the soundcard. My assumption is that the streamer will stream sound from the PCM (Wav) channel. I was wondering if there were a command-line switch to specify the CD channel as the audio source, but can't find any solution. On a different PC I have a PVR-250 (which routs it sound to PCM/Wav) and was able to stream w/ video + sound, but MPEG video at 802.11b-friendly bitrates looks pretty bad, and that computer is not fast enough to transcode to mp4 in realtime.

If anyone knows the way to solve this problem please post - I'd be really excited if I could get this to work.

TIA.

tibo

Postby tibo » 21 Jan 2005 02:36

Still waiting for the answer on another topic ! Seems lot of people have the same problem !

Finnisen

Postby Finnisen » 21 Jan 2005 15:16

I can confirm that I use my Happauge PVR 350 to stream live Video and Audio trough the LAN. Using Win XP on both server and client.
It's a real spesial setup to get it working, but it does work. And I have to use VLC 0.7.2 and Windows Media Encoder 9 to get this working.
Windows media encoder can be downloaded from Microsoft if you don't have it.
- Start a Diectshow and use "Config" to setup the bitrate you want from your happauge card.
- Setup the output stream as you need. (Note: Transcoding option is not needed, unless you want somthing else that MPEG2).
Now before we start streaming we need to use Windows Media Encoder to get sound working, and to choose correct input source.
This is done in the "Windows Media Encoder", and it very important that these steps are followed!
- Open "Windows Media Encoder"
- If "Broadcast a live event" is highlighted click "OK". If not start a new
session, highlight it and click "OK".
- For the "Video" click "Configure..."
- In the drop down list for input choose the secound "Video Composite"
- Click "OK"
- Click "Cancel", and close "Windows Media Encoder"
Now you can start the VLC straming, and you'll get sound.
NOTE: If you stop the VLC stream you'll need to go through the steps with Windows Media Encoder to get the sound working again.

It's a pain in the ..... Just a small deviation from the above howto, and it won't work.

I think there is a fix for this in the upcomming 0.8.2 of VLC. I have tried getting a developer version that can confirm this, but not seen it yet. I'll keep trying though. :)

Hope this helps you out..
Finnis

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 21 Jan 2005 18:25

Finnisen -- The nightly builds are compiled copies of the current developer code base, done daily. They are at:
http://vthr.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/

finnis

Postby finnis » 21 Jan 2005 20:42

Thanks markfm for pointing to the nightly builds.

I can now confirm that the new 0.8.2 build for 21.Jan05 is working with the hauppauge PVR 350 card.
We now can set many of the properties for the card. At least the most needed as input source, RF channel, and audio. There is still some bugs in there that have to be fixed, but It'll work for now.
One other problem that i ran into was that the UDP option on the output stream was not present as an option. I had to manually insert it to the command line at the top of the GUI. The funny part is that this UDP option is present if you start the same VLC version on another PC without the Hauppauge card. :)

Well. Anyway. The VLC is now working to stream live TV with audio through the network with the Hauppauge PVR 350.

Finnis

CHIUCIE

STREAMING

Postby CHIUCIE » 28 Jan 2005 03:02

Do you know if it supports PLEXTOR TV 402U?

Baritone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Similar problems with PVR-150

Postby Baritone » 31 Jan 2005 11:31

Dear all,

I'm new on this Forum. I downloaded Videolan some time ago and have been playing around with it a bit. I think it is a great project. The tool is versatile and basically simple (if you have some background in technology), although some things still confuse me. Part of the problem is I know hardly anything about video compression and muxing, which becomes a problem when you want to stream and transcode. I appreciate that the project is still in beta
and I have great expectation for the future! Thanks for all your hard work.

But now back to the topic of this thread. I recently installed a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 and installed it in my Dell PIII, 700MHz running Win2K. It has been working like magic. I even like the shipped software unlike some people. However Videolan has some serious problems with the card. With the help of the earlier posts here I could pinpoint that the problem is with capturing sound.

However the problem is not just that "I don't hear anything", VLC effectively crashes my PC. The VLC executable hangs, can't be killed through task manager, sometimes I can't even start task manager anymore, and my PC does not respond to Ctrl-Alt-Del, and it does not shutdown (the power button is the only way out). I can still use some programs, but Internet Explorer hangs as well.

The problem is hard to reproduce. As far as I noticed it happens either when I start or stop a streaming session, or when I push the Configure button to configure sound capture settings.

I've tried the latest nightly builds, but they don't work for me. If I click Configure then the poplist of Pin Lines (can't remember exact term) is empty, which I guess is part of the problem.

Let me know if anyone recognises this, knows a solution, or needs more info.

Thanks!

Ivo Stefanoff

Postby Ivo Stefanoff » 15 Feb 2005 08:52

Hi!
I had same problem for a couple of days! I can't extract an audio from my LifeView TV capture but i solved this using OSS + ALSA and internal audio card with "amixer set Line unmute" "amixer set Line 100%" "amixer set Line cap" "alsactl --store" and there is another possibility with ...:adev/dev/audio and you can get an audio stream from there :D

user7_global

Postby user7_global » 27 Feb 2005 21:15

hi,

same problem here with my PVR-500 (Model 23559 Rev. D391), no way to bring audio to work. Just tried 0.8.1 and latest build from 27.02. (where its possible to select the audio device but it doesn´t work anyhow).
PVR-500 = 2x PVR-150, so any solution for the 150 should work for the 500, who can help?

rgds
henrik

renzo9

Audio with Hauppage TV Card

Postby renzo9 » 05 Mar 2005 09:08

I am BRAND NEW to VideoLAN, and you guys on this site are fantastic!!! I was able to set up and configure my system for live tv streaming on my wireless home LAN. By the way, I wanted to respond about the problem of no audio with Hauppage tv card. I'm using WinTV USB Pro and I finally figured out how to stream both video and audio. I first configured my tv capture card to use Line In as audio input. I then open VLC and configure my sound card as audio device. Next, I go to Start, Run, Control Panel to make sure that Line In is enabled and NOT muted. Voila! it worked perfectly and now streams video/audio to either unicast or multicast pcs.

This is a great program!

Jonas

Also no Audio

Postby Jonas » 07 Mar 2005 20:57

Hell.
Got the same problem. Everything worked fine with streaming, but then I changed which PC I have the TV-card in. The TV card works perfectly (Its a WinTV card) with the TV2000 application it works with. SOund comes from the tv card. I connect this sound (TV-card line out) to the Line in of the soundcard and sound is availible in my normal soundoutput.

I now start VLC and play TV back locally. This works great. (I can even get the sound to be heard twice (slightly delayed) by enabling both to line in and having VLC playing the sound out on the Wave channel). Thus: VLC get the sound and plays it backs.

However, when streaming the sound... Nothing...

One idea: The setting of the sound device never remembers where it is set at. It always defaults back to Telephone and doesnt remember that I selected Line-In. Migth this be a bug? Or do I have to have codecs installed on the system to stream the sound correctly?

Any ideas?

BR

/Jonas

Baritone
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

PVR150 still not working for me

Postby Baritone » 15 Mar 2005 13:58

Guys,

I tried the latest nightly but I still cannot select a sound pin from the TV card (Hauppauge WinTV PVR 150). Connecting the line out to the line in of the sound card is a nice workaround, just like other workarounds suggested above, but I still believe there is a bug that prevents me from getting sound from the TV card through DShow. Do you guys agree?

Would it be good to create a bug report for this? I tried searching for existing bugs, but didn't find a perfect match. Could any developer advise me in this?

Regards,

Baritone

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 15 Mar 2005 22:11

You might try launching using
--extraintf logger -vvv

That should open a separate console with maximum debugging information. Then try to open the card, both audio and video, just for a few seconds, then press the Stop button.

Do a cut-and-paste, saving the contents of the logging console into a text file.

(the difficulty is debugging HW that you don't have. The logger output will at least provide some infor on what VLC is or is not seeing with respect to the 150's audio capabilities)

haooo81

Postby haooo81 » 20 May 2005 05:31

Hi, i hav similar problems wif my PVR 150 card. Sound and video are available using Wintv200 but there is no sound when opening with VLC. To add to the problem, my PVR 150 do not hav an audio Line out. I am running out of ideas. Any suggestion?

haooo81

Postby haooo81 » 24 May 2005 04:01

Tried the nightly build for windows - vlc-win32-last- .. still cannot get the PVR 150 to stream live sound.. anyone has a solution?

haooo81

Postby haooo81 » 25 May 2005 05:14

Anyone?

haooo81

Postby haooo81 » 26 May 2005 17:09

hello?

superboss
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby superboss » 28 Sep 2005 11:23

I am having this bug with the latest nightly build 0.8.4-test1 on a Windows 2000 box with a TV2000XP Expert capture card along with a Soundblaster CT4810 soundcard (connected with the supplied audio connector: Audio out -> AUX in on soundcard). The audio works perfect when played locally but nothing but silence when streamed to a client. You cant select the proper inputs (ie AUX in my case) on the audio card but still dont hear a thing. From what I gather the soundcard is not even needed for streaming but as VideoLAN wont let me select my tuner for audio device this workaround is about as close as I get... Whats up?

SparrowHawk95

Postby SparrowHawk95 » 29 Sep 2005 04:25

See my post called "Hauppauge PVR-350 no sound when streaming fix"

I think it might help some people here.

wallilabou

PVR 350 sound problem

Postby wallilabou » 02 Apr 2006 02:19

Where can I find this post SparrowHawk95 is talking about??

Postby Guest » 21 May 2006 09:44

I can confirm that I use my Happauge PVR 350 to stream live Video and Audio trough the LAN. Using Win XP on both server and client.
It's a real spesial setup to get it working, but it does work. And I have to use VLC 0.7.2 and Windows Media Encoder 9 to get this working.
Windows media encoder can be downloaded from Microsoft if you don't have it.
- Start a Diectshow and use "Config" to setup the bitrate you want from your happauge card.
- Setup the output stream as you need. (Note: Transcoding option is not needed, unless you want somthing else that MPEG2).
Now before we start streaming we need to use Windows Media Encoder to get sound working, and to choose correct input source.
This is done in the "Windows Media Encoder", and it very important that these steps are followed!
- Open "Windows Media Encoder"
- If "Broadcast a live event" is highlighted click "OK". If not start a new
session, highlight it and click "OK".
- For the "Video" click "Configure..."
- In the drop down list for input choose the secound "Video Composite"
- Click "OK"
- Click "Cancel", and close "Windows Media Encoder"
Now you can start the VLC straming, and you'll get sound.
NOTE: If you stop the VLC stream you'll need to go through the steps with Windows Media Encoder to get the sound working again.

It's a pain in the ..... Just a small deviation from the above howto, and it won't work.

I think there is a fix for this in the upcomming 0.8.2 of VLC. I have tried getting a developer version that can confirm this, but not seen it yet. I'll keep trying though. :)

Hope this helps you out..
Finnis

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”