Sound is choppy

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
arconreef
New Cone
New Cone

Sound is choppy

Postby arconreef » 04 Nov 2010 01:34

I have been using VLC for 2 years on this PC and it has never had a problem that didn't have simple fix until now. The problem started a week ago, and the only major change that has happened was about a month ago I reverted my windows xp to a previous version using acronis true image. I have always used VLC heavily, but recently I have been forced to use mplayerclassic. The problem is exactly as it sounds: every file I have attempted to play has had extremely choppy audio.I have played enough different types of audio/video files to know that it is not specific to any particular format/codec. Just to be clear, video plays smoothly while audio (of any codec) is choppy. When I use mplayerclassic everything plays fine!

Anyone have suggestions as to what I could try to get it working again (I have already tried reinstalling)?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Sound is choppy

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Nov 2010 02:40

Your audio drivers need updating.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Lelouch
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Sound is choppy

Postby Lelouch » 06 Nov 2010 02:14

I have the same problem and my audio drivers are all up to date.
When i'm trying to play some bigger mkv. files the sound gets choppy, but with Media Player Classic it's no problem. So it has to be the VLC Player.

Can someone please help me i'd really appreciate a helpful answer.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”