VLC crashes Firefox 3.6.8/10 in libvlc_release

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
JosHuybrighs
New Cone
New Cone

VLC crashes Firefox 3.6.8/10 in libvlc_release

Postby JosHuybrighs » 20 Sep 2010 14:07

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this topic but I want to bring up a fault whereby Firefox (tested with 3.6.8 and 3.6.10) crashes when the latest VLC plugin (1.1.4, but also 1.1.3) is used.
The crash happens when Firefox exits from a VLC-embedded page and seems to be caused when the plugin is destroyed by the browser. During the cleanup the plugin code (vlcplugin.cpp) calls libvlc_release() as expected, but it seems that this causes the crash in Firefox. I tested it a bit further and the fault occurs as a result of calling libvlc_InternalCleanup(), followed by libvlc_InternalDestroy(), inside libvlc_release(). The latter located in control/core.c. When I comment out those 2 calls, the crash doesn't appear.

I am not an expert on libvlc and thus it will be diffcult for me to further investigate this.

The main question now is: is this a fault in the latest versions of VLC or is this a Firefox issue?
And: who should this topic be addressed to?

By the way, the fault even happens when you go to an embedded VLC page, let the browser initialize the plugin, and leave the page (without playing media).

Jos

sphelan
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC crashes Firefox 3.6.8/10 in libvlc_release

Postby sphelan » 30 Sep 2010 20:39

I'm seeing what is probably the same issue. It happens in both FF and IE when leaving a page with VLC in embedded the browser itself will crash. We reverted to 1.1.3 and it seems to be more stable(not crashing all the time), but 1.1.4 is not usable as it crashes every time the page is navigated away from.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”