Windows 7 Taskbar Buttons

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
SpewHole
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.7 Win-x64
Operating System: Windows 7 Ult. x64

Windows 7 Taskbar Buttons

Postby SpewHole » 24 Aug 2010 00:58

Hello,

I noticed that with my latest update of VLC, from version 1.1.2 to version 1.1.3, that Windows 7 Taskbar buttons are now present, just like in Windows Media Player and eMule. This is a great development, and I'm happy to see the added feature, but the buttons representing play/plause, forward, and back are blank. Is my version not working properly, or is this intentional? If intentional, will icon images be created and rolled out in a future version?

Thanks,
Zak

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Windows 7 Taskbar Buttons

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Aug 2010 13:46

screenshot, please?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SpewHole
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SpewHole » 25 Aug 2010 07:20

This is very odd, but the buttons to which I referred above are no longer visible. Did I dream them up or something?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 25 Aug 2010 15:02

You can remove %appdata%\vlc folder to return default VLC settings.

ron_nitro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ron_nitro » 02 Sep 2010 04:34

This is very odd, but the buttons to which I referred above are no longer visible. Did I dream them up or something?
For a moment i thought was dreaming to xD. . .
heres a screen
http://a.imageshack.us/img827/4741/vlcj.png

SpewHole
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SpewHole » 16 Sep 2010 00:53

I've been watching and waiting - finally today the buttons reappeared again. This time the appropriate icons were visible and I was able to capture a screenshot:

And after launching my next video, the buttons are gone again:

I haven't changed any settings in weeks. I don't know why the buttons keep coming and going. Any help?

SpewHole
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SpewHole » 29 Nov 2010 11:39

??

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 29 Nov 2010 16:10

Prolly a bug in VLC.

BugMeNot2
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby BugMeNot2 » 19 Dec 2010 02:10

Maybe it's a filetype issue. Perhaps the one video had the video or audio encoded with something that used an external decoder which caused the buttons to appear, and the other video didn't (it was decoded entirely by VLC), and so the buttons were not present.

SpewHole, do you have FFDShow, CCCP or something intalled? If so, try setting it to not decode anything (many people set FFDShow to decode FLVs, etc.)

ron_nitro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ron_nitro » 11 Jan 2011 03:33

yes sometimes they appear and other time they don't :s they usually appear at the beginning of the program execution.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 11 Jan 2011 15:15

VLC doesn't use FFDshow or CCCP or any other external codecs. So they shouldn't matter.

SpewHole
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SpewHole » 03 Oct 2011 19:54

This issue has been resolved on version 1.1.11. I have observed the aforementioned buttons fully present in this version during the playback of .mkv files. There is no longer an inconsistency. Good work, VideoLAN team.

Synetech
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Synetech » 25 Jun 2012 21:58

I figured out what the problem is: always-on-top. If you set the topmost option, then the buttons do not appear on the taskbar player. This is true whether the setting is saved or not (that is, even if the player starts without the on-top setting and the buttons are visible, simply clicking Video->Always on Top turns it off and keeps it off until you restart VLC; even turning it off again won't bring the buttons back).

That's unfortunate because the topmost option is necessary and it seems odd to have to choose (in fact, it seems odd that there would be any practical reason for them to have anything to do with each other, so I suspect it's just an interaction bug).

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Jun 2012 11:39

I figured out what the problem is: always-on-top. If you set the topmost option, then the buttons do not appear on the taskbar player. This is true whether the setting is saved or not (that is, even if the player starts without the on-top setting and the buttons are visible, simply clicking Video->Always on Top turns it off and keeps it off until you restart VLC; even turning it off again won't bring the buttons back).

That's unfortunate because the topmost option is necessary and it seems odd to have to choose (in fact, it seems odd that there would be any practical reason for them to have anything to do with each other, so I suspect it's just an interaction bug).
Try a Nightly Build. I did fix part of this issue.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

SpewHole
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby SpewHole » 28 Jun 2013 08:02

Old thread, but still mine, nonetheless. :)

Dead-on. Always-on-top setting is always on for me. I turned it off and the buttons immediately presented themselves when the was program reopened. I'm up to 2.0.7 x64 at this point.

Turned always-on-top back on and the buttons were gone again after restarting the program.

For the most part, leaving always-on-top enabled for the past three years, the buttons populate about 75% of the time. They seem to disappear when the program is accessed after a fresh update installation and then they're randomly missing every so often during regular use.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”