Help with transcoding and streaming HiDef files

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
jhb50
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Help with transcoding and streaming HiDef files

Postby jhb50 » 18 Jul 2010 19:44

j-b and vlc-help, we need your help.

We are attempting to implement an On Demand Mediaserver Solution using VLC to transcode with subtitles to lower definition and stream two of the latest format high definition video files, namely .flv files containing avc/aac streams (which is the format of captured for streaming highdef video from sites such as You-Tube, MegaVideo, PBS and Hulu) and .ts files containing mpeg2TS/AC3 streams (which is the format of captured North American hidef ATSC TV).

Unfortunately we have determined that VLC has two bugs processing these highdef format files which we have documented. The first 2850, https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2850#comment:3 prevents .flv files containing aac audio streams from transcoding to any format (even though ffmpeg can transcode them successfully), and the second 3075 http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/3075 prevents .ts files from playing and thus transcoding if subtitle files are detected.

Together these bugs prevent our successful solution and we would like to work with the developers to develop the appropriate fixes.

We have attempted to provide details and test files that demonstrate these problems as part of the bug reports and prepared to repond on demand to any other requests. Unfortunately both of our bug reports were closed by j-b as fixed, yet our recent testing with 1.1 and the latest build demonstrates the problems remain, so obviously there is something different between our environments. We have now requested that both bugs be reopened to resolve those differences.

So the question is what can we do to help solve these problems and will you work with us ? Hopefully the support of the latest high def files is of sufficient importance that your priorities will allow that.

I assume you have my email from my profile or you can PM me so we can take this offline.

Thank you for any help you can give us. We can find no workarounds and are stuck without it!

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Help with transcoding and streaming HiDef files

Postby VLC_help » 19 Jul 2010 11:49

Well I am not going to fix those bugs, since they are in territory which isn't familiar for me. If you need quick fixes for those issues, I would suggest that you hire developer to patch them out.

jhb50
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jhb50 » 19 Jul 2010 14:36

Well we are just two retired guys trying to offer an open and free solution to lots of other folks just like the VLC team is trying to do I think.
We don't have any money to pay developers and are dependent on our own and others skills to make this happen. Sorry if I gave the impression otherwise.
Could you at least put us in touch with those who are familiar with this area, who might at least point us to the area of code where we can try to fix this ourselves?
We have absolutely zero knowledge of the VLC structure but since the avc/aac transcode works correctly with ffmpeg, we are hopeful that a fix can be found in the VLC/ffmpeg interface but we don't know where to look. We don't mind doing the work but are really are stuck without a bit of help. Please reconsider.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 20 Jul 2010 17:18

vlc-devel mailing list and VLC IRC channels are the places if you want to contact devs.

jhb50
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jhb50 » 21 Jul 2010 02:43

Thanks for the pointers. We'll try there. j-b has asked for message logs and I've responded so fingers crossed!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”