activate /compile pvr-caching vlc 0.8.1

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Rafa Chao
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

activate /compile pvr-caching vlc 0.8.1

Postby Rafa Chao » 04 Mar 2005 17:04

Hi every body,

in VLC 0.8.1 is said there´s a new option called pvr-caching.....

I´ve compiled it for Linux Fedora Core 2, but it looks like there´s no option called pvr-caching....

Anybody knows how to make it work?

Thanks,

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 04 Mar 2005 18:25

I don't know about 0.8.1, but I see that pvr.c of the current software does have a shortcut
--pvr-caching value_in_milliseconds

Rafa Chao
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Rafa Chao » 04 Mar 2005 19:22

I have already seen it markfm, but i cannot make it work.....

Do you know how?

I think this option has been made to solve the 3 seconds delay streaming live video from compressor PVR (hauppauge 250 /350.....)

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 04 Mar 2005 19:36

Doesn't look like it, though I don't know what the code was like before that variable was introduced.. There's similar code, in dshow, for Windows.

That's an input buffer, at the vlc level, doesn't do anything to the card.

What it's for is to provide a bit of smoothing if the input device (framegrabber in my case, PVR in yours) has any jitter/inconsistency in providng data to the PC. The effect is to actually add a bit of latency, overall, equal to the size of pvr-caching. Only when that buffer is initially filled does VLC start to process the incoming data.

So, if your card has a 2 second internal latency, using --pvr-caching 1000 woula actually increase the latency to a total of 3 seconds.

As I said, I don't know what the old implementation was -- perhaps it had a high default value.

Personally, based on what I do with Windows I would try a pvr-caching 50, just to see what happens.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”