VLC pref-file causes OsX programs to disfunction

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Peter Monrad

VLC pref-file causes OsX programs to disfunction

Postby Peter Monrad » 04 Mar 2005 11:38

I've installed the brilliant VLC player on my brand new iMac G5 two month ago (the newest VLC version at that time) After using it a couple of times I couldn't open the native mac programs: Safari, Mail, ICal etc.

First I didn't know why I couldn't open the programs, and spend a lot of time talking to Aplle support. After deleting various preferences files I realized that it could only by the file org.videolan.vlc.plist that caused the problem. Ever since when I have used the player I have to delete this file and log out and log in before the before mentioned programs work.

I don't have the same problem on my office computer, nor have I heard of other people experiencing similar problems.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how to avoid this annoying situation?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 04 Mar 2005 15:28

I have no idea. i have never heard of this.
Also, since applications are supposed to be isolated on OSX, it seems a bit unlikely. but everything is possible of course.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 04 Mar 2005 15:59

Yeah, it seems pretty weird, but I guess even if the programs are isolated the preference-files (in the library folder) can interfer with the other programs?

Peter

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 05 Mar 2005 17:34

No they shouldn't

eweri
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC pref-file causes OsX programs to disfunction

Postby eweri » 05 Mar 2005 22:32

Hello Peter!
... After using it a couple of times I couldn't open the native mac programs: Safari, Mail, ICal etc.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how to avoid this annoying situation?
I do not know why you can solve this problem by removing the pref-file but this problem appeares when you installed corrupted fonts. Do you have installed some fonts after VLC?
Look for Helvetica -- I had at least three customers with this problem and it was always a corrupted font. Because of Mac OS X caching everything it sometimes does not help to remove the font you have to empty /System/Library/Caches and /Library/Caches and reboot to see the results. There is software called "FontCacheCleaner" that makes the process a lot easier.

Hope this helps.
Bye,
eweri
You can use QuickTime Player or .... wait ... use VLC - it works better :-)

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 06 Mar 2005 02:12

Love that signature btw eweri !!! :D :D :D :D :D

Peter

Postby Peter » 07 Mar 2005 11:19

Thanks for the advice. I deleted the Caches-folder in my library and the preferences-folder and that did help. Then I copied the pref-files I needed back in, and it's still working.

It could very well be something with fonts, since I have a lot installed - and not all proper-fonts. I'll look for the fnt-cache-cleaner and try that if it happens again.

Thanks!

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”