GEFORCEXTREME
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

CBR Bitrate Changing On-the-fly

Postby GEFORCEXTREME » 13 Apr 2010 09:13

References:
http://x264dev.multimedia.cx/?p=286
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1383940

Hi, with reference to the above, I'm trying out x264_encoder_reconfig to do CBR bitrate changing on-the-fly while transcoding with VLC.

Here's what I did, from VLC's x264.c file, I created a separate threat (at the Open function of VLC's x264.c) that will prompt for user input using printf and scanf repeatedly (yeah, console, I don't know how to do GUI in VLC). I added a callback function to the settings vbv-maxrate and vbv-bufsize (also at Open function of VLC's x264.c). When these value change, the callback function get these values and run x264_encoder_reconfig.

I don't know if I'm doing it the wrong way, but the video doesn't seem to reflect the changes. I know my way of prompting user input using console is flawed but I want to test if this on-the-fly bitrate changing is possible.

Ok, from the reference above, it is said I can change bitrate in CBR mode. But I went through the code and didn't see a CBR mode setting or is CBR mode simply ABR mode with bitrate==vbv_maxrate? If not, how do I enable CBR mode? After enabling CBR mode, how do I change the CBR bitrate? By changing vbv_maxrate and then do x264_encoder_reconfig?

DarkShikari, and anyone, please help. I've been trying this out for like forever.

Thank you in advance.

GEFORCEXTREME
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: CBR Bitrate Changing On-the-fly

Postby GEFORCEXTREME » 24 Aug 2010 04:51

Problem solved.

jpincheira
New Cone
New Cone

Re: CBR Bitrate Changing On-the-fly

Postby jpincheira » 01 Sep 2010 21:16

thanks for replying with the update... may I ask, how did you resolve this? I'm in a similar trouble.

thank you so,

jp

Return to “VLC stream-output (sout)”