How to compile VLC-nox to support v4l2 in debian lenny.

*nix specific usage questions
d3v1ous
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How to compile VLC-nox to support v4l2 in debian lenny.

Postby d3v1ous » 06 Feb 2010 12:05

Hello guys,

i want to be able to stream my webcam over the network using http protocol. My webcam drivers is: zc3xx. In my Ubuntu 9.10 im able to watch the video from the webcam using v4l2 drivers and VLC.

Now i moved the webcam on my Debian Lenny router (without X). I have compiled v4l2 support for my kernel, but the problem is in Debian Lenny, vlc comes only with v4l support (not with v4l2), so i need to compile the VLC from source to enable v4l2 support.

The main problem is that, i dont know what arguments to use to compile only vlc without X support and all codecs, muxers, and other features.

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: How to compile VLC-nox to support v4l2 in debian lenny.

Postby xtophe » 06 Feb 2010 16:05

./configure --help

Best way to not enable a feature is to not install the libraries.

If you want to encode in mpeg* you can't use the ffmpeg of Debian. So while you're at it you may want to start by compiling ffmpeg before compiling vlc
Xtophe

d3v1ous
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How to compile VLC-nox to support v4l2 in debian lenny.

Postby d3v1ous » 08 Feb 2010 17:42

Ok, i compiled VLC as follow:

Code: Select all

./configure '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--disable-nls' '--disable-mozilla' '--disable-dbus' '--disable-dbus-control' '--disable-telepathy' '--disable-lua' '--disable-cdda' '--disable-vcd' '--disable-dvb' '-disable-libcddb' '-disable-x11' '--disable-glx' '--disable-opengl' '--disable-xvideo' '--disable-xvmc' '--disable-freetype' '--disable-fontconfig' '--disable-fb' '--disable-qt4' '--disable-skins2' '--disable-sdl' '--disable-sdl-image' '--disable-notify' '--disable-libgcrypt' '--disable-mad' '--enable-avcodec' '--enable-avformat' '--disable-swscale' '--disable-postproc' '--disable-a52' '--disable-remoteosd' '--disable-live555'
Now everything is oke, and i can stream my webcam with v4l2 driver.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”