Audio problems / dropouts with via onboard sound on P755D-E

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Shorty8Gs
New Cone
New Cone

Audio problems / dropouts with via onboard sound on P755D-E

Postby Shorty8Gs » 28 Dec 2009 22:54

Hello,

I have annoying audio problems with the VLC player on a Intel i7 860, Asus P755D-E Pro, WinXP 32Bit system. The sound drops out or interrupts every few seconds for a short time (however the audio stream stays in sync). I only have these problems with the VLC player (tried 4 other players). I'm sure that VLC especially has problems with the "VIA High Definition Audio" onboard sound chip cause another audio interface is working fine. The problem, I don't want to use the other interface as standard audio output source and I would like to keep the VLC player as my standard video player.

I've already used every other audio output in the VLC audio settings, no improvements. Has anyone any ideas how to fix this? Or is this a known common issue that will be fixed with the next version?

Thanks for any help.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Audio problems / dropouts with via onboard sound on P755D-E

Postby VLC_help » 29 Dec 2009 19:45

Have you tried to update your audio device drivers?

Shorty8Gs
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Shorty8Gs » 29 Dec 2009 22:34

Yes, I got the latest version. But also contacted Asus hoping for new drivers (no reply yet).

Shorty8Gs
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Shorty8Gs » 01 Jan 2010 16:08

Got reply from Asus. They say it's a driver problem because Windows XP isn't optimized for HD Audio. But they will forward my request to VIA. I hope they will fix it with a driver update.
Anyway, if anybody knows another solution to fix it, please tell me. Or if anybody has the same problem please also contact Asus to enforce the driver request.

Thx for your help.

azadian
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Audio problems / dropouts with via onboard sound on P755

Postby azadian » 09 Apr 2010 00:36

I seem to be having the same problem with my Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P. At the moment the manufacturer's site is down, so I can't check to see if my drivers are the latest. However, I built this machine in January, so they can't be all that old. In any case, the problem is not limited to VIA.

The problem is highly intermittent, happens only for video, and is independent of file type or video resolution. Sometimes I can play the first half of a video before the dropouts start happening. If I rewind to play it again, the dropouts are now happening where they didn't happen before. It seems to happen more in full-screen mode than when it is running in a window. I tried installing old versions of vlan, and using default configurations; nothing helps.

This machine has gobs of headroom for CPU, disk, and memory. I can get the dropouts on QVGA stuff, but even the highest-resolution videos don't come close to stressing this machine.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 Apr 2010 16:45

Does it help if you change video output module?
http://wiki.videolan.org/WindowsFAQ-1.0 ... _output.3F

azadian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby azadian » 10 Apr 2010 13:16

I tried disabling video acceleration, and it is definitely better. Now I get about a dozen dropouts per music video, whereas before it was a dozen per minute. I do wonder why other players don't have this problem.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 10 Apr 2010 16:09

VLC doesn't use DirectShow like other media players do. That is why there are differences between VLC and other players.

azadian
New Cone
New Cone

Postby azadian » 12 Apr 2010 19:12

Switching to openGL output module seems to have fixed it, even with acceleration.

jbir359
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby jbir359 » 17 Jun 2010 08:57

I have same problem with an ASUS Crosshair formula II (AMD processor) even just playing mp3 file. the board has integrated SoundMax DigitalHD Audio card. (it also has an nVidia HD Audio onboard which is not used, and regardless if it is disabled or not the results are the same).

I have tried all the suggestions above but, all combinations of output module make no difference. this has been happening with all versions of VLC player (incl. 1.1x rc4).

playback is on one computer (no networking is involved)

any suggestions?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 17 Jun 2010 16:36

If you are using latest drivers and both DirectX and Waveout audio output modules cause dropouts, I don't think there is anything I can come up to help with that.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”