native wma breaks with recent ffmpeg

*nix specific usage questions
mc2man
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

native wma breaks with recent ffmpeg

Postby mc2man » 05 Oct 2009 17:21

Whether this is overall an issue or just confined to ubuntu/debian I'm not sure

At least here native wma (wma3pro) decoding in 1.02, 1.03, fails with ffmpeg -r's > 19777, while using any prior ffmeg it works fine.
( that includes -r's that have wmapro support built-in or wmapro patched -r's
Also working fine are pre native support vlc versions I'd patched myself to move wma3 decoding from dmo to avcodec ( 1.0, 1.01, 1.02-git

This is reflected on builds on both 8.04 and 9.10 ( I know 8.04 is not recommended, but building is possible with a few disables

In the last 1.1-git I built ( about 5 wks. ago ), wma3 thru avcodec also worked fine (self patched

The failure is from frame errors, can post the output (log is on other machine - 9.10 ubuntu

I believe this commit is what broke the native support ( here at least

http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg;a=commi ... 7094f41a94

( have not tried using different gcc than 4.2.4 on 8.04 and 4.4.1 on 9.10, don't think it would matter, but can if a possibility
Last edited by mc2man on 06 Oct 2009 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: native wma breaks with recent ffmpeg

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 05 Oct 2009 19:40

you should rather report the problem to FFmpeg developers. There is not much to be done about this from VLC forums.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

mc2man
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mc2man » 06 Oct 2009 08:21

you should rather report the problem to FFmpeg developers. There is not much to be done about this from VLC forums.
An interesting response
The point here is that for at least the last 7 months or so wma3 decoding thru avcodec has worked fine in vlc 0.9.x -> 1.1 even though it was not part of the released vlc code. (whether with a wmapro patched ffmpeg or recently the wmapro enabled vlc

And as I mentioned it continues to work fine in 0.9.x -> 1.03 (leaving 1.1 out because I haven't built recently) as long as the ffmpeg -r is 19777 or less.

Also noting that decoding in ffmpeg itself and mplayer builds also work fine no matter what the -r , ffmpeg fiddles with the code and mplayer syncs to it

While I certainly can't speak for ffmpeg, why should they be responsible to keep their code compatible with vlc, particularly in this case.

Vlc added the 'if' to avcodec/fourcc.c to "support" native wmapro decoding, not ffmpeg
The release note for 1.0.2
Changes between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2:
--------------------------------

Decoders:
* Native support for WMA Professional, without the use of the Win32 dlls
While overall this was a good move, especially for 64 bit users ( suggested as much in a post some time ago), I'd think vlc would be prepared to support their own change, not pass it off on ffmpeg.

And the main reason for the prior post was to see. if in fact, any -r's greater than 19777 do or should be expected to work with vlc.

There is also an ironic effect here, because of the 'if', if your ffmpeg -r is recent, (> than 19777 from what I see) playback becomes broken on 32 bit installs that are dmo enabled. ( unless one cli's a codecs command.or removes the lines in avcodec/fourcc.c before building

Maybe ( if in fact 19777 is the last -r to work), the release should be

Changes between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2:
--------------------------------

Decoders:
* Native support for WMA Professional, without the use of the Win32 dlls ( with wmapro enabled ffmpeg <= 19777

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 06 Oct 2009 12:10

Also noting that decoding in ffmpeg itself and mplayer builds also work fine no matter what the -r , ffmpeg fiddles with the code and mplayer syncs to it
You should have told us that in the first message.
While I certainly can't speak for ffmpeg, why should they be responsible to keep their code compatible with vlc, particularly in this case.

Vlc added the 'if' to avcodec/fourcc.c to "support" native wmapro decoding, not ffmpeg
[...]
Again, that's an important piece of information. Do you happen to have the commit id handy ?
Ideally you should answer to the commit message on vlc-devel@

But if you have the commit-id or the author of the commit, i'll transmit your bug report to him
Xtophe

mc2man
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby mc2man » 07 Oct 2009 00:59

You should have told us that in the first message
My apologies, I thought that was understood in 1st post, will be more verbose in future if needed.

But if you have the commit-id or the author of the commit, i'll transmit your bug report to him
I linked to the ffmpeg commit I believe broke vlc native support in the first post. Unfortunately ffmpeg seems to make adjustments to their wmapro code from time to time though this commit was fairly substantial.

My saying that ffmpeg -r 19777 is the last to work properly with vlc is based at this point solely on what I've found, confirmation one way or the other was one of the reasons I posted. ( and would be prudent

If any debug and or build logs for vlc 1.0.2, 1.0.3 are needed will gladly provide ( have debuild produced logs for vlc builds using 19777 and a couple more current ffmpeg -r's

fenrir
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby fenrir » 08 Oct 2009 22:39

It should be fixed by [5964d90680547862f7e22003b074370cd1febcf0] in master and by [29372c90602c8fb11be11f11381d6fd4df1696b7] in 1.0.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Oct 2009 11:33

Thanks fenrir!
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”