read nsv

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
topaze
New Cone
New Cone

read nsv

Postby topaze » 10 Jan 2005 13:42

I don't understand why VLC is not able to showme video from nsv streaming, i just have the sound indeed.

So i want to know what can i do to also view the video (eg: configuration of module, add codec library ...)

thanks

:roll:

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 11 Jan 2005 12:27

NSV often uses a proprietary video codec called VP6, that VLC does not and cannot support.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

topaze
New Cone
New Cone

Postby topaze » 11 Jan 2005 13:50

thanks !

FineOggBoy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

VP6?

Postby FineOggBoy » 25 Jan 2006 20:38

That is funny according to http://www.nullsoft.com/nsv/
NSV utilizes MP3 for audio and VP3 for video.
A Solar Day Not Used Is a Energy Source Wasted.
How much solar have you used today?

Fat_Nonsense

Postby Fat_Nonsense » 08 Feb 2006 17:59

@FineOggBoy

please look at the date when the text has been written : Copyright (C) 2003 Nullsoft, Inc.

and the line: Currently NSV utilizes MP3 for audio and VP3 for video. Support for more codecs will be added soon.

that's about 3 years ago... and things change quite fast these days ;-)

b0mb0klat

Postby b0mb0klat » 27 Feb 2006 06:01

yep you see nsv is like avi its a carrier file.

i'm currently setting up a nsv stream tv and it goes like this :

--VP3+MP3 is the basic nsv kind, the one that fully works on winamp, vlc and iexplorer/mozilla/firefox with the appropriate plugins/activex.Good for macs and linux.

--VP6.2+MP3orAC3 is the latest and most efficient stable form of nsv ; the difference when the codec is finetuned (thanks 2 scvi.net) for the targeted bitrate is an added bonus present ; really kicks the blocks and blurs out and sharpens the image.The problem with that is that its proprietary and therefore can only be decoded legally through nullsoft/aol software meaning winamp or the aol activex nsv plugin for internet explorer.Both work really well and unlike flash video you can easily go fullscreen (flash video uses VP6 too btw)

--h264 is being tested with great results over at the winamp NSV boards ; no official support though so its not viable yet for constant use as far as im concerned...

Aiming for 128kbits/s bitrates means i need to squeeze as much quality as i can out of the software ; so although i hate to advocate iexplorer i will probably go the route of VP6 ; wish it was open source...

That being said the codec is impressive; raw video from my cam goes from 27megs a minute to 750kbs in an acceptable 24fps 320*240 quality @ 128kbps - 100 for video and 24 for ac3 sound - 4 for variations

and h264 promises even more...

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”