the need for better documentation

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
zangetsu-san
New Cone
New Cone

the need for better documentation

Postby zangetsu-san » 18 Jun 2009 22:00

i like VLC as a media player, but i hate how it does things like displays the filename in video output and starts the player in the top left corner rather than in the middle of the screen.

i spent hours trying to find the solutions to these problems using the docmentation i could find for VLC, and came away with nothing helpful.

VLC is a great tool but the help and documentation suck badly :(

joe average user will not try to search for hours for what should be listed at the top of a FAQ.

there is no legit reason that the most needed info is hard or impossible to find.

i say this because i really like VLC, not because i want to bash it.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Re: the need for better documentation

Postby The DJ » 19 Jun 2009 03:20

The legit reason is lack of time and people resources. If no one want to write documentation like this, then it won't ever be written :(
Don't use PMs for support questions.

zangetsu-san
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zangetsu-san » 19 Jun 2009 18:32

The legit reason is lack of time and people resources. If no one want to write documentation like this, then it won't ever be written :(
that almost sounds like a challenge to me !

:P

actually i would be willing to lend a hand with documentation if i could get the answers that would be documented.

tell me how i can help with the project.

as i said i love VLC and am not trying to bash it but rather, see it improved.

i took the time to register and post here but there many others who must be as frustrated as i am that you will never hear from.

i look forward to all helpful replies.

thank you.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 20 Jun 2009 21:26

Ask questions :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

patch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby patch » 21 Jun 2009 01:47

joe average user will not try to search for hours for what should be listed at the top of a FAQ.
Everyone asks themselves different questions so would want different things at the top of the faq
VLC is a great tool but the help and documentation suck badly :(
Given VLC is a community project, I would have thought documentation via wiki was optimal.
I have not tried to update it so can't comment on the implementation.
Looking at the existing wiki I would agree it has a developer rather than a user focus. This is probably appropriate in a developers web site but not the best as the first link in the online help.

Suggest VLC needs more users updating the wiki.
And developers may like to consider linking to a different page from the online help. A table of contents covering aspects of how to use VLC would be good.
actually i would be willing to lend a hand with documentation if i could get the answers that would be documented.
Looks like you have just recruited yourself to update the wiki once you answer your questions. After all it is likely others will want to know the same thing.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”