Passing Options to Caca

Old forum that is now archived. Please use one of the other forums.
victorhooi
New Cone
New Cone

Passing Options to Caca

Postby victorhooi » 24 Nov 2004 07:19

Hi,

I've just spent an afternoon of fun trying to coax VLC 0.8.1 to compile on Ubuntu...*shudder*. Anyway, I've finally got it to work - if anybody thinks they would gain anything from a small writeup of my experiences, just ask and I'll make a short summary

I used svn to checkout the latest build of libcaca-trunk, which includes a new Floyd-Steinberg ditherer (screenshots) which I'm hoping to try out. However, when I use libcaca to playback The Matrix, it seems to use the basic (very ugly) ditherer, with no anti-aliasing.

How you control what dithering mode and anti-aliasing is used when playing a movie back through VLC (skins2).

Thanks,
Victor

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 24 Nov 2004 21:31

apperantly you can not do that right now. Don't know how much work it would be to change it though.

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 24 Nov 2004 21:49

correction: this can be done by setting environment variables before starting vlc. Sam said he would put some docs on that online, so perhaps check the caca site some time from now.

victorhooi
New Cone
New Cone

Postby victorhooi » 24 Nov 2004 22:37

Hi,

Sigmund: Thanks for that...guess we'll have to wait for Sam to release those docs. Development on Caca seems to have picked up again, for which I'm quite excited - sure, it's not 'useful' (whatever you define that as), but it's definitely cool :D.

Come to think of it - could you grab the environment variables from the caca sources? Has anybody had a look at them.

My c++ extends to about hello_world.cpp. lol.

Bye,
Victor

Sigmund
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sigmund » 25 Nov 2004 16:31

the docs are online now.http://sam.zoy.org/projects/libcaca/doc/index.html for the floyd steinberg dithering use "fstein"

Return to “VideoLAN”