[Mac OS X] strange entire UI freezes when I open a file

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
enlitn

[Mac OS X] strange entire UI freezes when I open a file

Postby enlitn » 14 Nov 2004 21:26

10.3.6, VLC 0.8.0

When I open ANY file with VLC, the entire UI (I'm talking the whole system here) freezes for about 5 seconds, then the video plays. This is extremely annoying. It has only started happening since upgrading to 0.8.0. Now it also happens when I revert to 0.7.2. I've deleted the .plist and the VLC folder within ~/Library/Preferences multiple times and relaunched the app, etc. I've restarted. I don't know what else there is for me to do. I need VLC! I can't stand MPlayer and QT doesn't play all of my files. I won't even mention WMP...

Ciber

Same here!

Postby Ciber » 16 Nov 2004 16:01

I have the exact same issue...

It just started happening out of nowhere, i did not even upgrade VLC.

denisodisea

here some explication

Postby denisodisea » 18 Nov 2004 18:16

:shock: I have the same problem after install divx 5.1 but no resolve yet, only reinstalling completly the systen my vlc works correctly again!!,
i think vlc charge divx library on startup but uninstall complety the divx an not work, only reinstalling

Thor

mkv crashes mine

Postby Thor » 19 Nov 2004 08:51

OS 10.3.6, Dual 2.0 Ghz, 2GB of ram.... Any time i try a .mkv, my VLC crashes, and has on 50% of the time, also caused my system to freeze/and or crash. Going back to 7.2 did not work, as the problems continued... (Did not have this issue in 7.2 ebfore i upgraded to 8.1)

Bummer..... :?

overlook

Postby overlook » 11 Dec 2004 15:46

I have the same problem,when I open first file with VLC :shock:
the entire UI freezes for about 5 seconds...
only when open the FIRST file :shock:

why?

i don't want reinstalling the entire system for vlc :cry: but i love vlc :oops:

help
please :(

overlook

Postby overlook » 11 Dec 2004 22:50

i found this message in my console.log:
[[32;1m00000001[0m] main vlc error: [31;1moption rt-offset does not exist[0m
[00000001] main vlc error: option rt-offset does not exist
[00000226] mpeg_audio packetizer: MPGA channels:2 samplerate:44100 bitrate:160[/code]

:roll:

Ciber

Postby Ciber » 16 Dec 2004 21:58

I'm still having this same issue and it's driving me insane.

Even using a VLC nightly makes no difference.

I remember installing FCP and FFMPEGX around the time this started happening.

Lets try to narrow down what could have started this crap! :P

rob7erto

Same problem

Postby rob7erto » 10 Feb 2005 00:20

I have this problem. Any fix found yet?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 10 Feb 2005 23:53

No.

well, remove the FCP plugin
Don't use PMs for support questions.

dxeyeb

Postby dxeyeb » 11 Feb 2005 10:37

How??? sorry newby here

walloo

Postby walloo » 28 Mar 2005 08:42

are there any developers here. i want to know how to reset vlc to it's original settings...removing all files that are associated with it.

i want to know if there is any way to do a complete reset on the app. i'm sure it's just screweing up an unlabeled pref file somewhere.

-walloo

walloo

Postby walloo » 28 Mar 2005 08:46

try going to prefs > click the "ADVANCED" check box at the bottom and look there.

also to search for any bad words/commands in scripts or text docs within an app, you can utilize bbedit to look through any folder/archive and search through the text on the GUI side....grep on the command line side.

-walloo.

walloo

Postby walloo » 28 Mar 2005 08:59

originally posted by maru
===
I found out what's causing the problem during startup!!!!!!!!

The problem isn't the CoreAudio plugin at all but it has something to do with the Coreauido system though. I have FinalCut Pro installed on my system.
It registers a DVCPROHDMuxer.component on the system.
During aout creation this componente gets called and needs a looooong time to init.
Removing the component from the /Library/Quicktime directory gives me instant starting times with VLC.
It is a workaround though, since I need the component for FCPRO

Can someone experiencing the same problem take a look at the /Library/Quicktime, ~Library/Quicktime directories and check if they have other componentes installed which cause this behaviour too?

Mike
===

if there is a better fix, search this whole forum for "DVCPROJDMUXER.COMPONENT' and then help by posting that newer fix all over this forum.

thanks maru.
-walloo.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”