Why dont we use web-based translation tool?

Everything related to VLC media player translations: new translations, corrections, ...
Lorni
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Why dont we use web-based translation tool?

Postby Lorni » 04 Jan 2009 02:42

If such is not present in the internet, just give me .po specifications and requirements, I can start to create opensource php based vlc oriented (own) translation tool.
I'd like to help vlc-team with translation automation.
We can develop requirements (scenarios) for this. We can create it with many features, just recollect, for example, google translate api.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Why dont we use web-based translation tool?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Jan 2009 13:14

Lorni, thanks for the proposal, but just ask xtophe.
Translations management are taking more and more of his time.

Basically, the good part with using poEdit is that there is one manager for each language and this helps to keep coherency.
The bad part is that this is difficult to work in community.

I think Pootle is using it.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

secarica
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby secarica » 05 Jan 2009 22:25

If such is not present in the internet, just give me .po specifications and requirements, I can start to create opensource php based vlc oriented (own) translation tool.
There are some such things on Internet, for example the Narro project (an open source project, based on Drupal as far as I know).
You can get an idea here about how it looks like (in this case the pages are in Romanian language, for Romanian translation).

While I recognize the advantages of a team work on a given translation, what I (personally) really miss is an off-line collaborative tool, that can deal with different translation stages (flags like "not translated", "imported", "complete", "locked", "in process", or something), this in addition to administrative rights (validation).
Basically, the good part with using poEdit is that there is one manager for each language and this helps to keep coherency.
This can be achieved also with collaborative tools, if the translation maintainer/manager has some reviewing/validation rights (and also possibilities to do this).

Cristi
... I think it's too hard to think

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 07 Jan 2009 17:26

There are already web-based app to translate.
The Decathlon project is running Pootle and has imported the vlc pot files. See viewtopic.php?f=17&t=48821. If the PO files are not up-to-date or some language are missing please ping leuce or myself.

We used to have translations in launchpad (https://translations.launchpad.net/vlc) but that's along time since the po have been updated. It can be updated f someone like this tool.

At the end it all depends on how the translator/translator group for a language wants to work.
Xtophe

edouard
New Cone
New Cone

Postby edouard » 01 Mar 2010 22:00

Sorry to bump this old discussion.

I contacted the development team a while ago about Web Translate It, a web-based translation tool I am working on. I really think it would make the translation team’s work so much easier.

I uploaded the VLC project there as an example: https://webtranslateit.com/projects/399-VLC/

With this tool, there’s no more hassle dealing the language files: they keep up to date automatically against a public repository, and developers can download the latest versions of the language files before a release with a command-line tool. It only takes a few minutes to get them all.

Would you guys like to give it a try?

xtophe
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby xtophe » 11 Mar 2010 23:31

1 problem i see in it is that some people prefer to translate offline. And I don't want to have to track which locale are on webtranslateit and which one are the current way
Xtophe

Return to “VLC media player Translations”