Santa hat icon?

Just have a drink and chat
fredand
New Cone
New Cone

Santa hat icon?

Postby fredand » 19 Dec 2008 10:08

Whats up, today my VLC has a santa hat on the icon, easter egg or something fishy?

btw tnx for the best mediaplayer in the world.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Santa hat icon?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 19 Dec 2008 10:30

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

fredand
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fredand » 19 Dec 2008 12:13

Nice one :)

Isaak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Isaak » 20 Dec 2008 16:08

It surprised me too :o, at first I thought the Videolan team hacked my computer O.o and put a nice santa hat on the VLC logo

ultrauber
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ultrauber » 20 Dec 2008 20:47

I saw that too...at first I thought it was my monitor being screwy (old laptop), but I guess it's true. I wonder if there are more...we'll have to wait for more seasons of VLC 0.9.

realityiswhere
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Mac/Lin/Win

Postby realityiswhere » 23 Dec 2008 19:18

For those of us that do not celebrate Christmas (or Easter, and as such do not always enjoy "Easter Eggs"), is there a way to remove the offending icon?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Dec 2008 19:38

For those of us that do not celebrate Christmas (or Easter, and as such do not always enjoy "Easter Eggs"), is there a way to remove the offending icon?
No. Recompile your VLC.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

cpyles07
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows XP

Postby cpyles07 » 26 Dec 2008 00:58

:shock: Offensive are you serious?! Has it gotten to the point where a Santa hat offends people? I mean seriously. My family celebrates Christmas and Easter but are not offended by the Menorah on display in my neighbors window. Im not offended by The people at the corner gas station fasting for Ramadan or celebrating R'as as-Sana the Muslim New Year. Besides Santa hs nothing to do with Jesus and Christianity. Im sick of people of stirring the pot with all this holiday this is offensive that is offensive to somebody somewhere. Its bull and needs to stop :x

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 26 Dec 2008 17:23

:shock: Offensive are you serious?! Has it gotten to the point where a Santa hat offends people? I mean seriously. My family celebrates Christmas and Easter but are not offended by the Menorah on display in my neighbors window. Im not offended by The people at the corner gas station fasting for Ramadan or celebrating R'as as-Sana the Muslim New Year. Besides Santa hs nothing to do with Jesus and Christianity. Im sick of people of stirring the pot with all this holiday this is offensive that is offensive to somebody somewhere. Its bull and needs to stop :x
Thank you. This is great to see that some people at least supports us.

Santa Claus is an 19th century invention from the USA and is not religious.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

cpyles07
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cpyles07 » 26 Dec 2008 22:41

I just don't get when and how all this started with the holidays being offensive. It seems more like religious oppression than political correctness. You do your thing and I'll do mine. And we can all just let everyone be stop with the offensive bull crap its not its just the popular thing these days. I'm not offended by whatever you celebrate or worship, But I respect you and your beliefs. Thats the way it works. :D

jemyt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jemyt » 27 Dec 2008 19:22

yea notice that too and think its cool, vlc always rocks.. no, i don't celebrate christmas.. just happy ;-)

realityiswhere
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Mac/Lin/Win

Postby realityiswhere » 29 Dec 2008 07:33

This wasn't meant to flame, and for what it's worth I'd like to apologize. Vlc still rocks and of course I support the project and the team.

(Of course people are free to celebrate religion/decorate/anything in whatever fashion they deem worthy, but an optional checkbox would be thoughtful for the rest of us :oops: )

cpyles07
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cpyles07 » 29 Dec 2008 23:55

Why not just choose to ignore it?

westmdflounder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby westmdflounder » 30 Dec 2008 06:10

Optional checkbox? Geezz. These guys work their tails off giving us unbelievable software for FREE and a Santa hat causes this response. Feel free to use other software if it bothers you. I thought it was funny.

dionoea
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby dionoea » 30 Dec 2008 21:35

We should add a checkbox at first launch like for album art: "<spoiler>Do you want the santa claus hat cone?</spoiler>".
Antoine Cellerier
dionoea
(Please do not use private messages for support questions)

cpyles07
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cpyles07 » 30 Dec 2008 23:04

Yeah ruin the surprises for the rest of us with the check box :wink: just make a disclamer that there is a holiday related easter egg and if you are offended then use somthing else

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 31 Dec 2008 15:35

Yeah ruin the surprises for the rest of us with the check box :wink: just make a disclamer that there is a holiday related easter egg and if you are offended then use somthing else
Well, anyway, I doubt we will keep that for the next year and tomorrow this is off.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

skenigma
New Cone
New Cone

Postby skenigma » 19 Dec 2009 18:06

Keep the Hat, lol it is awesome!!!

and to those it offends I am sorry, don't look at it. I don't look at your posts anymore...

BeckiM
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BeckiM » 20 Dec 2009 01:15

I love it, i had to look twice but it made me chuckle when i realised what it was. :lol:

Thanks to whoever put the hat in. :)

Though to be fair to other religions i think we should have special icons for all of them. I'm all for sharing and surely it'll be less offensive to the more sensitive if they get something for their chosen faith. :D

samtheman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby samtheman » 20 Dec 2009 02:26

Though to be fair to other religions i think we should have special icons for all of them. I'm all for sharing and surely it'll be less offensive to the more sensitive if they get something for their chosen faith. :D
To be fair? Who said we had to be fair. This discussion is ridiculous.
Whoever makes a program - free or not - can put whatever they damn want in a program.

To take it further and actually call it offensive...my gosh...ludicrous!

Just put a checkbox on install that says...
"Are you an Overly-Sensitive Politically-Correct Creativity-Crushing Wanna-be-do-gooder Loser?...then get a life."
*Installer exits*

Thanks for the santa hat! It caused me to search google and come across another bunch of idiots on the internet! :lol:

Rhamda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rhamda » 20 Dec 2009 05:09

My issue with the logo change deals with my ability to see the new logo. I can't see it clearly and it make navigation harder for me. I can barely see the logo in the system tray. On The Christmas issue...I don't care. I JUST LIKE the old LOGO. I am willing to uninstall the new version and reinstall an older 1 but I would rather mod the new version so that I can see a logo. I'd be happy If I could make it a big yellow Box

Rhamda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rhamda » 20 Dec 2009 05:36

I just realized that most of these posts are from 08. That brings me no joy. I'm going to post and ask if a skin change can resolve my issue

BeckiM
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BeckiM » 20 Dec 2009 06:48

To be fair? Who said we had to be fair. This discussion is ridiculous.
Whoever makes a program - free or not - can put whatever they damn want in a program.
You take me too seriously, maybe my wording mislead you. I liked the new icon so much i'd love to see it change for different religions, special days and other random events. It'd be fun to see what else they could do with a cone. :P

Rhamda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rhamda » 20 Dec 2009 23:31

So I uninstalled 1.03 and reinstalled .9.9 and everything was fine then this morning the logo that I have trouble seeing comes back. 2 Questions
1. did the program go get the the logo without asking or is the logo included in the program.
2. If i learn to compile the program on my own, Will I be able to change the logo?

Remeber the only problem that I have is seeing the new logo, I'm colorblind(can't see red) and it's too small.
How about a big Christmas type hat??

Rhamda
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rhamda » 21 Dec 2009 00:25

OK I see that when I change the date the logo returns to normal. How do I go about compiling the program so that the date/logo change option is gone?
please direct me to the correct forum it this is in the wrong place.

Return to “Coffee Corner”