How are files loaded? and when?...

This forum is about all development around libVLC.
d3x0r
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

How are files loaded? and when?...

Postby d3x0r » 06 Dec 2008 21:49

I have a player, I'm using WS_LAYERED style windows and open a seperate instance, player, and media clip on its own surface. I open two of these at once, and play one. When that stops, I start the other, and release the first, and create a new player on a new surface. A few seconds into the video there is a jitter... which is shown in --verbose=2 to be accompanied by decode loading, configuring, prebuffering (of the second video?).

I added a drop prioirty on the thread that actually creates the player; this did improve the smoothness a degree. However, disconting all the extra verbose logging, there is a decoding error in these videos... which is something like 'triggering upsampling' which, since it seems to work, can't I just start with upsampling triggered?

I do note that as a result of creating a player with a media clip, several other threads are created, which do not have their priority dropped (probably)... is there a way to find these threads? Do I really have to or is the media load done in the player creation thread?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: How are files loaded? and when?...

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 07 Dec 2008 15:38

Well, did you try to increase caching ?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

d3x0r
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: How are files loaded? and when?...

Postby d3x0r » 07 Dec 2008 21:24

Oh - actually stting --file-caching=0 helpd... setting --file-caching=5000 was even worse than it started... so I went the other way and it plays quite well...

Return to “Development around libVLC”