Keeping track of current playing video

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
innerspace
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6
Operating System: Windows / OsX

Keeping track of current playing video

Postby innerspace » 17 Nov 2008 04:28

I am writing a program which needs to rotate text onscreen in time with certain programs.

At the moment I am using a timer comparing the duration and time remaining to try and keep track with the current playing program.

Unfortunately with some short (1 second) videos and videos with matching durations this is coming out of sync.

I could reduce the interval of the timer to examine things in even more detail but this would be ineficient programming.

What I am looking for is a way of triggering an event in libvlc on a program change, or a way in calling the filename or title of the currently playing item.

At the moment i am using the VLanControl wrapper for .NET and 0.8.6
I had a look at some of the 0.9.x wrappers to try and find added features but all of the ones I found were lacking in playlist functions, most notably AddAndPlay(). I hope these will arrive in the future to enable an upgrade.

Im sure that this is a situation which others have encountered and overcome, any suggestions?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”