Convert multiple FLAC songs to Mp3 using VLC?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
doogly
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 0.9.2
Operating System: Windows

Convert multiple FLAC songs to Mp3 using VLC?

Postby doogly » 18 Sep 2008 18:27

I just updated to the newest version of VLC media player (0.9.2) and noticed the Convert/Save function under Media. I've been playing around with it and can't get it to convert files. Can anyone describe in obnoxiously simple steps how one would go about converting a FLAC album to 192 bitrate Mp3's using VLC media player. Is it even possible? After much googling I saw that other people had done it but there were converting to WAV which I don't want. Thanks for your help.
Have a great day!

patch
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Convert multiple FLAC songs to Mp3 using VLC?

Postby patch » 18 Sep 2008 23:57

Is it even possible? After much googling I saw that other people had done it but there were converting to WAV which I don't want. Thanks for your help.
I use mediamonkey http://www.mediamonkey.com/
Play flac files on htpc
When copying files to mp3 player, mediamonkey automatically converts the files to a compatible format (which is configurable).

Not sure if this is what you were wanting to do, but conversion from flac to mp3 is possible with preservation of tags
Not sure about doing it in videolan

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 19 Sep 2008 19:13

Me don't really know the answer because me don't really use VLC for that. But CloudStalker does know that there are plenty of You tube videos that will illustrate how to use this feature of VLC. Alternatively, there are other programs that can do this. Like patch said, you could use MediaMonkey, CloudStalker usually uses the FLAC frontend (come installed when user installs the FLAC codec) or dBpoweramp Music Converter which can convert several lossless codecs (like FLAC and so on) into lossy ones (MP3, AAC, ect.).

nonsubmersibleunits
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nonsubmersibleunits » 25 Jul 2009 05:56

The answer (check my post at the end):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41102

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”